Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i remove GPU heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggeroo

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
DK
Hi all

I got a new fan and heatsink for my vid-card (Geforce2 MX400) and I would like to replace the old fan+heatsink. The old heatsink is fastened to the chip with some kind of adhesive and I would like to know if anyone has any ideas/experience on how to remove it (preferably without damaging the chip :).

I am guessing that it is normal for these things to be fastened this way since the new heatsink has got some sticky tape on the bottom too.
Please help me :)

its just a fairly light connection, if you twist it, it should come of, if your careful you can put a very thin blade between it and the chip

its just a fairly light connection, if you twist it, it should come of, if your careful you can put a very thin blade between it and the chip

Blade!!!!!!! not advisable! light twisting back and forth is.
I am surprised to hear your GF2MX400 already has a fan/heatsink on it, this is an extremely rare beast, they generally don't use an active fan untill you buy GTS/Pro or Ti.
I guess the new fan has a thermal adhesive patch?? otherwise those plastic sprung clips in which case don't forget thermal paste. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Well, I have been running it without the fan for a while, but when playing games it does get very hot and sometimes crash. Both the old and the new heatsink have those plastic clips in opposite corners. Thanks for the help guys, I think i'm gonna go with the light twisting :)

Now you say!
Heatsinks are normally fixed in one of three ways.
1) Adhesive heat transfer pad
2) Adhesive heat transfer resin (glue)
3) Plastic pressure clips with normal heat transfer paste.
So if yours is the last method you simply squeeze the clip end together (rear side of the card) push the clips through, then because it has paste and not adhesive, the heatsink will easily pull off.
It is possible to use your exsisting heatsink and add a small 40mm fan to it (available from most good electrical component outlets) or an old 486 CPU fan. The heatsink prongs are such than they can be bent at the heatsinks corners so there is something for four mounting screws to go onto.
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back