Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Remove a Port from a VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkoehn

ISP
May 24, 2001
US
I have 6509 and have not been able to figure out how to remove port form a VLAN.

Does anyone know how this is done?

Also, since I am new to the 6509, Is there any configuration statements that should or should not be used in a general vlan configuration switch?

Tony

You have to use the clear vlan statement

i.e. to clear vlan2 from port 2/4
switch(enable)clear vlan 2 2/4

Jsteve,

On the 6509 switch that does not work. It only allows me to type clear valn <vlan>

Tony

Be very carefull not to do this (read more)!!

If you are using STP server and clients to manage vlan info:
The system will accept ANY vlan information from ANY switch in the system if its revision number is higher than the server's.

In other words if you add a switch to the group that isn't absolutely clean you can down your entire network. Trust me, I know. It happened to me and I had 5300 very unhappy nodes.

Since the 'incident' I set every switch to stp transparent mode and installed only the vlans that switch needed. -a MUCH safer way to configure your network.

6500 commands
to clear vlan - just set it back to using vlan 1 (default)
set vlan <vlan> <port1,port2,...>
clear vlan <vlan> - removes vlan from switch & all ports
to clear vlan on trunk
clear trunk <port> <vlan>

Verify with:
sh port stat <port>
sh trunk <port>
sh vlan <vlan>
sh spantree
sh spantree blocked

I've deleted the VLAN like jgercken described it, but if I change than to the Supervisor Board I will sitll find a entry:

interface Vlan21
no ip address
shutdown

How can I delete this??

Change to the supervisor board? Do you mean MSFC? Or are you running IOS on your cat 6500? If it's the MSFC just do a config t then &quot;no interface vlan21&quot;. I've never worked with a 6500 runing IOS but I imagine it's the same.

Jeff

Many thanx for your quick answer and help, it's working this way... :eek:)

Georg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back