Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I reinstall win98 from dos when CDrom no found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gggfff

Instructor
Mar 9, 2001
US
I went to install Norton Av on my win 98 machine. I removed Dr Solomens AV then tried to install NAV 2003.

Here is what happened:

System locked
rebooted and system comes up in DOS
Message says missing vmm32.sys
copy same file from other machine onto my machine
reboot & windows splash screen starts and shuts down machine
go into dos mode and can't get dos to recognizes CD Rom
try to start windows & system.ini can't find device file
ifsmgr.vxd, missing ios.vxd missing, what a mess.

How do I reload windows? I can get into DOS but I can't force it to find the CDrom drive to reinstall win 98.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Boot to a Win 98 boot disk which usually has CD support.

You will need one of two things. Either a Win98 boot disc which will enable the cd rom or a cd rom driver disc which will load in DOS. If you haven't got either, you can make a boot disk on a friend's machine providing he has Win98 or ME.

If you have access to another machine go to Control Panel / Add remove programs / click the startup disk tab and in there you can create a disk that will boot your cd rom If not, you have to make some kind of a bootable floppy and put mscdex on it and the blah.sys driver for the cdrom and then put driver=blah.sys in a config.sys file and mscdex blah -d ??? or something in the autoexec.bat Sorry that part is a little rusty now, but that was one of the classic windows catch 22's for many years (can't run the cd until i install windows, can't install windows until i get the cd running:) Another way is to go into your bios and tell it to boot from your cd-rom first and the windows cd should be bootable. Anyway, the best way is just to have a win98 startup floppy lying around for these special occasions. PS: What a nightmare that must have been.... I just wrote something in a thread about backups you may want to read for the next time. It's pretty cool. PSS: my windows explorer seems to lock up after I delete large amounts of files, that's why I am here??? Any Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back