Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Reinstall Startalk A from floppies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrealm

Vendor
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hello,
I have a Startalk A and I got the Startalk software on 5 1/4 inch floppies. I have an old 5 1/4 drive. Can someone give some direction on how I can reinstall this software on a different HD. I have a SCSI hard drive and realize the full capacity won't be used.

The reason I'm doing this is because my voicemail seems to work for a little while then it stops working. I power down the machine and let it "rest" for a while. When I restart, it will work for a little while then stop working again. Rather intermittently.

Thanks for your help!

YOUR PROBLEM MAY NOT BE THE HARD DRIVE, IT COULD BE A Y2K ISSUE. THEY DO SOME STRANGE THINGS

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Are you sure you have the software? or just an upgrade or backup of the current vmail?
What version of mail is it?

spoclogo2.jpg

Well, the nortel box that it came in says Nortel Norstar Startalk 2.04 L S/W (w32/99). It has 15 disks. Some say disk Utilities. A couple says Control Program KER-NT, IP-NT. About 10 of them say System Prompts.

Wow thats sounds like the real mckoy :)
You may need to hook up monitor and keyboard to vmail then boot up new hard drive with disk one inside and follow prompts but I cant say for sure....I think you lucked into those disks.

pcrealm,
I'll follow this post. If there is no more info posted I'll phone a fellow tech who can give the full answer which I'll post for you.

MR you out there?

PhM

Connect a PC running Hyperterminal to the RS232 port on the Startalk (300 baud, 7-E-1). Insert the Utilities disk into the floppy drive and boot the Startalk. You should get a menu after a couple of minutes. First, format the new hard drive. Then you will load the program files from disks 1 and 2, then load the voice prompts which are on the remaining disks. When loading the voice prompts you will be asked which voice prompt to start with. Enter 0000 and it will find the first prompt on the disk and go from there. The screen returns to the menu as each disk finishes. As I remember there are 13 disks with voice prompts. Contact me if you get stuck.

Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

Thanks for the responses. Brian, the first thing I checked for was a serial port. I don't see any. They only thing is on the mainboard, there is what looks like a rj11 jack. I'm going to try and hook up to that. I have a 9 pin serial to rj adapter I'm going to try next and connect to that jack. Am I on the right track? Do I need to install a serial card?

The RS-232 connector is located on the right side. you must remove the side panel to access it. There is also an RS-232 reset switch located below it, just in case someone changed the default connection parameters. (press during bootup)

MarvO said it

The only port I see looks like a parallel port. I don't see any serial ports. I have the case cover off and the only place I see to plug anything into is that jack that looks like an RJ11.
Any other suggestions?

What looks like a parallel port (DB-25) IS the serial port. You should also see what looks like a centronics connector which is a SCSI interface. As was stated these connectors are on the right side of the Startalk below the station connections for the voicemail ports. I normally use a DB-25 to DB-9 straight through cable to connect to the serial port on my PC.

Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back