Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i recover windows logon? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

existtrue

Technical User
Aug 12, 2003
US
my windows logon does not prompt me to log on with a username and password when i start up my computer, instead it automatically logs on with no username.

This is a problem to me right now because i would like to have access to a feature that requires being logged in: the save password checkbox in dial up networking.

In order to make this feature available right now, i have to start up windows, then choose log off in the start menu, and wait for the prompt to log back on. I'd like to be able to simply start the computer logged on as a particular user.

so far the steps i have attempted have failed: i have windows logon selected as primary network logon, I have Tweak UI installed but cannot seem to achieve the desired effect with any of it's settings, and i've personally gone into the registry to attempt adding the following strings:
AutoAdminLogon (value set to "1")
DefaultUsername (value set to my username)
DefaultPassword (value set to my password)

all added under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

For some reason each time i restart the computer, i find the string AutoAdminLogon has disappeared.

the key DontDisplayLastUserName (value set to "0") also exists under this key, but i've tried removing it or changing it's value to "1" and neither solved my problem.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Networking->Change windows logon to Client for Microsoft Networks or Novell depending on what you use (most likely Microsoft). Restart. That should do it.

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back