Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i record voicovers by phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdodva

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
CA
I'm about to work on a project where they need me to record testimonials from persons in several differnt locations and the budget doesn't allow for travel to do that.

Is there a way that I can record fairly good quality audio by phone? I'm open to buying equipment, but I'm not sure what are my best options ...

Thanks so much for your help.

VdoDva

Some initial thoughts, but not covering all angles.

You used to be able to buy a suction-based telephone pickup mic from Radio Shack/Tandy for very little money. It might sound like a telephone conversation, though, if that is something you are trying to disguise.

Could you use Skype? I guess you could then record direct onto the computer at your end.

If you want to go cheap, you can pick up one of these:

And if you're handy with tools, you can make one of these:

Another possibility is to simply set up a recorder and then use a telephone that employs a speakerphone function, or a native speakerphone, such as a Polycom.

That's how I'd do it.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

The mic on Amazon seems to have pretty good reviews!

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Thanks a bunch guys!

I think I should stay away from the tools LOL.

I'll try the Radio Shack and Amazon options since they're both relatively cheap and see which one works best.

Much appreciated

VdoDva

I'd be interested to know which one does the trick. The Radio Shack stick-on mics are mentioned in the reviews of the Amazon mic. The RS mics are good for picking up acoustic stuff, so maybe they were good about twenty years ago, back in the days of the steam engine and whalebone corsets, but nowadays most phones have headphone jacks and anything that can tap into that signal's going to give you the cleanest possible sound.

Do I need to mention the laws regarding the recording of telephone conversations...?

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Thanks again Edward!

I just picked up one of those digital recorders with firewire. So I'll play around with both options before I actually tape the testimonials.

I think the laws against taping phone conversations is what makes it hard to find a good solution! ROFL Also I think the law only prohibits taping people without their knowledge/consent. The client is aware of this and will have all subjects send them a hard copy of what they are going to say along with a signed release for the recording and also use of their voice in the project. They're all in this together so I think it will be OK. However, if I don't see a release ... I don't record. LOL

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
VdoDva

Just wanted to make sure you knew the laws. Following them is up to you. [robocop]

Have fun!

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back