Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I read the chip temperature in VB? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
I want to monitor the temp of an unattended remote computer.
How can I read the temperature of the chip in the BIOS so I can feed it down the network with a winsock?
I bet this gets you all thinking!

Is this for real? In which case, start by adding some electronics to measure the temperature.

Or is it a wind-up? In which case, I want to know how to use the chip to detect excessive sweating on behalf of the user (either by smell or by moisture content on the keyboard).

Time for me to go home, I think

Actually yes it is for real. Some of the newer ASUS motherboards come with several heat probes not only for the AMD CPU but for the motherboard around the CPU and other areas. Now how to be able to do this with VB?????????

The only thing I can suggest is to see if there is a dll you can hook into. You might want to contact ASUS (or your board manufacturer).

Good Luck, If you get anywhere let me know.

MSI MoBo's have similar functionallity. CPU temp, MoBo Temp, Fan Cycles etc.

Thanks,
Sorry I forgot that many countries are not as advanced with their computers as we are here in Australia.
If you look at you CMOS options, if you have a recent Intel processor and your computer is made in the last few years, you should see an entry that shows the actual chip temperature and fan speed if it is a variable one.
This is monitored by a heat sensing element in the chip.
You can see it varying as the computer heats up.

For my problem I have a computer in an outside hut monitoriong stuff and I wanted to make sure it doesnt overheat if the air filters clog up on a hot day. It can get to 40 degrees here in summer. This would be reflected in a rise in chip temperature from normal.

My problem is how to read this CMOS value in VB.

In the case of Mr tootired, I read somewhere where someone devised a program that detected programmer fatigue by monitoring the change in evenness and frequency of keystrokes. Possible he would be able to devise an algoritm to relate this to excessive sweating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back