Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I read an msdos disk in linux? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortytwo

Technical User
Apr 18, 2000
GB
I have two disks in my system, and I boot from linux from one and windows from the other.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is it possible for me to read the files from the msdos disk from within linux (RH 6.0)?&nbsp;&nbsp;I am guessing a big fat no. :)<br><br>Will <p>fortytwo<br><a href=mailto:will@hellacool.co.uk>will@hellacool.co.uk</a><br><a href= test site</a><br>

um, Linux can read all Dos based media, it can even read Fat32 (which is good, becuase you can grab files from your windows partition, or just save stuff onto the windows partition) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

How's about a big fat &quot;yes&quot;? :)<br><br>First try a default - stick the floppy in the drive and run &quot;mount /mnt/floppy&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;(substitute &quot;/mnt/floppy&quot; for the appropriate sounding name from your &quot;/mnt/&quot; directory.)<br><br>This should mount the floppy so you can cd to /mnt/floppy and access the files.<br><br>That tends to be a default setup.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have long file names on the floppy you might need to get a bit more complex.&nbsp;&nbsp;Try &quot;mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy&quot; instead.&nbsp;&nbsp;The &quot;-t vfat&quot; says to use Win9x style FAT table so that the long file names can be read.&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;/dev/fd0&quot; is the floppy device, and the last directory name is where you want to mount it.<br><br>If the first doesn't work, the second should.&nbsp;&nbsp;Let us know how you get on. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

depending on your distribution, these things are automatically mounted, for example, your harddrives can automatically be mounted when you boot up (if the installer made the preference to do that at boot up) If for some reasn you want to use a DOS disk to transfer files from Win9x to Linux, you could do the method above except using something like<br><br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>mount -t vfat /dev/hda0 /mnt/MyWinDrive<br><i>depending on which order your partitions are, will determinine if it's 0 or higher, also if it's on a different drive, change a to b, so fort (a if its first drive aka Master)</i><br></font> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Thanks :)<br><br>I'll try those suggestions and let you know. <p>fortytwo<br><a href=mailto:will@hellacool.co.uk>will@hellacool.co.uk</a><br><a href= test site</a><br>

You can see the directory on floppy(msdos) with &quot;mdir&quot;.<br>You can copy files from floppy with &quot;mcopy a:filename&quot;<br>You can mount msdos floppy with &quot;mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy&quot;, then you can see, copy, delete ... with linux commands or easy way with &quot;mc&quot;.<br>Unmount floppy with &quot;umount /mnt/floppy&quot;<br><br>If you have some problems let me know.<br><br><A HREF="mailto:eek:ffice@digisoft.ro">office@digisoft.ro</A><br><br>

Yes,as they mentioned, Linux can read DOS diskettes. The DOS hard drive is probably designated either /dev/hda1 or hda0. Run the mount command mount /dev/hda0 /mnt, the mounted drive appears in /mnt
You can also read DOS floppies /dev/fd0 with the mcopy command, mcopy a: [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back