Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I re-install a cd-rom (4x) in an older compaq 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillytheKydd

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2001
CA
I am trying to re-install a older cd-rom in a Presario 7170 (4x) and can't find the information I need to do this. Seems that I remember there must be a cd folder on the drive with the mscdex drivers or something like that, and a line in the autoexec or config sys, anyone know?

Is this for a DOS/WIN 3.x machine? Or for Win 9x? If it is for a Win 9x machine and don't need the CD-ROM in DOS mode. Just let Window detect it. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

No it is a Win 98 machine Koldark, but a P90, and windows does not detect this cd-rom, if I put a newer cd-rom in it, it picks it up instantly, but will not detect this older 4x cd-rom. It is the neighbors daughters machine and just trying to get it going for them without spending any cash.

What kind of interface does it have? IDE or do you need one of those "special" CD-ROM controllers that some of the older ones needed? Being a Compaq, I wouldn't doubt that it might need one. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

Yes it is IDE, the reason I remember the cdrom folder on the C drive is I had one of these machines myself years ago, and I lost the cd once myself but back then it was fairly new and help was easily obtainable at the compaq site. Seems to me it needs a line in the autoexec or maybe it was the config sys file to point to the driver (which I think was mscdex) that resided in the cdrom folder. Does any of this sound vaguely right?

In config.sys you need to put in the CD-ROM driver. In autoexec.bat you need to use mscdex. As far as how the commands are layed out, that would be a good question. If you can't get them by the end of the work day, email me koldark@koldark.net. I will get them off a boot disk I have. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

Thanks Koldark, I am still actively searching the compaq sites for this info, if I have no luck will get back to you later today.

Don't limit yourself to Compaq website. Use google (or your search engine of choice) and search the web and the news groups.

A good place for drivers is I have searched for hundreds of drivers on there, I could not find drivers for maybe 5 of the parts. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

If you have a 98 boot disk you can follow the driver load sequence from there. But you may need a cd driver from the cd manufacturer.
You would use the provided driver in config.sys pointing at a driver location like mscd000. In autoexec you would call mscdex , pointing at the same location mscd000.
config.sys
device=c:\location\drivername.sys mscd000

this will generally respond with cd name and port it was found on.

autoexec.bat
c:\location\mscdex mscd000

which should make it accessable.
But there may be setup switches required. Depends on the driver. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Try using a Mitsumi cd rom driver. They make generic CD ROMS and that will probably have a setup program. Just look at a Mitsumi website on the web.

I have run into cd-rom's that had to be installed with the sound card.The sound card drivers had to be installed first then the cd-rom. Mind you it was long ago and i think it was a two speed.The sound card was a sound blaster pro i had to install it reboot install the cd-rom drivers reboot then it allowed setup.

Have you gotten it figured out yet? Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back