Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I re-index a foxpro table? What (free) tools do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polg

Programmer
Oct 27, 2000
GB
We have an old accounts package that uses foxpro tables. I have packed the tables with some free software called DBFTools to resolve a problem with corruption. I now need to re-index the tables but the accounts package doesn't provide the facility to do so.

1. Since you used tools other then FoxPro to pack your databases, Can I assume you do not have a copy of FoxPro.
2. In all versions of the XBase language (which foxpro is a member of) the pack commnad also reindexes the files.

David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

I'm a little late on this one, but I don't have good news anyway. Since another package has packed and reindexed - you could be out of luck. Latest versions of Fox have index structures and names that differ from its cousins. I'm guessing that differences also existed in 2.x versions.

This would mean that Fox cannot read the new indexes.
As a developer, I can say that it is unthinkable for a company to develop an application without providing user-level index maintenance.

Contact the developer and request (demand?) such a routine. If that somehow fails, another FoxPro developer could create such a routine for you from either: a. source code (unlikely that you have it) b. a sample (demo or backup) set of files c. system file copies d. trial and error. My guess is you'd pay from $150 to $500 for such a service (US) depending on how long it took.

Hank Castello

Oops - I missed two of your main points..

1. I don't believe there is any 'free' application that will do FoxPro reindexing, although I have seen some for dBase.

2. It is possible that 'reindexing' isn't going to work at this point and you actually will need to recreate the indexes from scratch.

Hank Castello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back