Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i raise my system resources? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
I'm wanting to have higher system resources because I do a BOAT load of multi-tasking. I am planning on getting 768 megs of ram..

I need the programs running, that I have running, so i cannot close those down...

I have an amd t-bird 1ghz 266 FSB
256 pc133 memory
7200 rpm udma 100

Would an extra 512 pc133 ram make the world of difference?
What if i overclocked my bus speed?

Any and all help would be highly appreciated.

TIA

- Rusty

It depends on the OS installed. If you are running Win98 anything over 320 Meg of RAM will reduce system resources. If you are running Win2K it would help. Have you checked out the FAQ sections if WIN98 and WIN2000 (not sure which OS you run) for tweaking your system?
faq615-786

Let me know if that helps. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Also..Make sure you have only the volume control and necessary programs loading at bootup. Like in the Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information. Tools and then System Configuration Utility.
Another trick is to right click on my computer..Go into properties. Performance..And filesystem..Set the Desktop PC setting you see to Network server on the Harddisk tab..Floppy disk take the check out and then on the removeable disk tab put the check in. Reboot the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back