Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I "front and back" a document? Facing pages??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaddock

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
US
Using Quark 6:

Creating a document that is to be printed on 8.5 x 11 paper. My pages are going to be 8.5 x 5.5 printed 2 up on each sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper.

How do I set this up?...and can I get it to printed 2 pages up so I can send thru a simple copier and get a completed document?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen

Just create a QuarkXPress document with 8.5 x 5.5 pages.

QuarkXPress 6 does not come with native imposition features. You either need to buy a third party XT or you can use Adobe Reader for free.

Export your document as a PDF file. Open in Adobe Reader and use the booklet function in the print dialog.

Ok...thanks, Ill give it a try. If I remember correctly, this is what my last print vendor did.

I'm doing this for a non-profit and they want to make the copies and bind themselves so, the easier I can make if for them...the easier for me.

Thanks!

One question...I've opened my Acrobat 6 and do not find a "Booklet" function. Is it called something else?

Cheers,
Stephen

Yes it is called something else: Adobe Reader, not Acrobat.

[bigsmile]

If you have Acrobat 6 (full product) installed, you can still install the most recent version of the free Reader (version 8) which has the booklet function.

Ok..Got it.

Now, if when I create the doc in Quark...I create 8.5 x 5.5 page. I have to sequence my pages correctly in Quark because Reader does not allow you to move the order of pages, correct?

Cheers,
Stephen

Hi swaddock
There are 2 ways to accomplish what you want in making a booklet.
In Quark you can manually move the pages in position if it is a small booklet.
But the easiest way is to download and install CocoaBooklet.
CocoaBooklet is free, but they accept donations.
Once you finish your document in Quark, you then Export to PDF.
Then after you have set up the correct preferences in CocoaBooklet you can then open that PDF with CocoaBooklet and choose to save in another folder, so as to keep the original and you will then have your pages side by side ready to be printed and folded by anyone who can print PDF documents.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

I have to sequence my pages correctly in Quark because Reader does not allow you to move the order of pages, correct?

No special sequencing is needed in QuarkXPress. Page one is page one. Adobe Reader does the sequencing for you. This means that you can make one PDF file and print that same file to either single pages or imposed for a booklet. Adobe Reader does all the work for you.

Prior to your response, I mocked up a 16 page doc in Quark and printed to .pdf I opened the doc in Reader and selected "mulitple pages per sheet". When it printed, it printed page 1(left) and page 2(right)....Rather than, page 1(right) and page16(left).

Thats why I thought I had to set the front and back order in Quark. Yes/No?

Stephen

I opened the doc in Reader and selected "mulitple pages per sheet".

Do you not see anywhere in the Adobe Reader 8 print dialog the reference to BOOKLET? It is right below 'multiple pages per sheet' in the drop list.

This is a 'no-brainer' type of operation. I realize that you are using QuarkXPress and are therefore prone to masochism but this does not need to translate to every other program. [bigsmile]

Aaahhhhh....Ill let that shot go!...lol

No, was using Reader 7, I will upgrade to 8 and check it out!

Thanks for your help!
Stephen

Hi again swaddock
You did not say if you are on Mac or PC and what operating system.
If you are on the Mac you should upgrade to Quark 6.5.
I tried the Adobe Reader 8 make a Booklet on my iMac with Intel dual core on OS 10.4.9, and that function is not supported.
I still think your best option is to download CocoaBooklet, if you are on Mac OS X then once you make the booklet with the correct pages side by side anyone with Adobe Reader can print as they choose.

Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

I didn't even think of that. I'm working on a PC. I just purchased an upgrade 7 package.

I did download Reader 8 and it did appear to work as you said. When I get home I will try it with my doc and let you know.

Thanks again!

To: jimoblak
Nothing that I can think of, but since I know nothing about PC I try to stick with Mac topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back