Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I put two Substring statements together into one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanetH

Technical User
Dec 31, 2003
US
I have two substring queries that both work on their own but I can't seem to get the syntax right when I try and put them together into one query.
The first one is to remove the extension from a string
SUBSTRING(URI, 1, CHARINDEX('.',(URI)))

The second one is to return only the title of the page in a web address
REVERSE(SUBSTRING(REVERSE(URI), 1, CHARINDEX('/',REVERSE(URI))))

Whenever I try to put them together I get a syntax error or I get two seperate results, one without the extension and one containing just the title.
Thanks for your help.

URI is the coloumn that I want to select so the value for it always changes depending on the record. An example of a record would be /wep/employee/Benefits.htm. What I would like to end up with is just Benefits.
With the first substring I gave above I would get
/wep/employee/Benefits.
The second would return:
Benefits.htm
So somehow I need to put the two together to just return Benefits.

This works, i've replace @URI with your @URI. the text below will run in sqlserver

declare @URI as varchar(255)
select @URI = '/wep/employee/Benefwwits.htm'

select
substring(REVERSE(SUBSTRING(REVERSE(@URI), 1, CHARINDEX('/',REVERSE(@URI))-1)),1, charindex('.',REVERSE(SUBSTRING(REVERSE(@URI), 1, CHARINDEX('/',REVERSE(@URI))-1)))-1)

If you only want to return "benefits", you can do just one select statement.

select reverse(substring(reverse(@url), charindex('.', reverse(@url)) + 1, charindex('/',reverse(@url)) - charindex('.', reverse(@url)) - 1))

Andel
andelbarroga@hotmail.com

Thank you both so much. It works like a dream!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back