Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I program a "Line 811-I" button? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhislop

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
I've got about 40 MLX phones on a Merlin Legend 4.0 PBX. I am trying to replicate the programming on a subset of these phones onto some new additional phones. I don't want exact copies of the existing arrangement, but I do need to carry over some of the functionality currently present.

The existing phones have buttons which read "Line 811-I", "Line 812-I", and so on when Inspected. I attempted replicating these buttons on the new phones using Pickup/Line, but when Inspected, these buttons show "Pickup Line 911".

If this requires centralized programming, I do have WinSPM so would appreciate instructions.

I am still puzzling out the configuration of this setup, as there are three companies in four buildings utilizing this single PBX. If I have neglected to include pool or cover info which is necessary in answering the question, please let me know.

You must program line appearances from either the "programming phone" or SPM. The lines will be assigned to the next button in sequence above the exsisting SA buttons and any other line or pool buttons. This means they might not show up where you are expecting them to be, but lets deal with getting them on the phone first.

System Programming -> Start (or Exit)

Extensions -> Lines -> [Extension Number] -> Enter -> Entry Mode -> 811 (or whatever line you want to assign) -> Enter

Now go back to your phone and take a look at where the line came up at. If it is OK, you're done. If not where you want it to be, please post back with the phone type and the layout of the buttons, and I give you directions on putting it other places.

Thank you!!! I am now working on getting them arranged the way I want them, but I think I've got a strategy! Thanks again.

I've got the buttons where I want them, but there must be a better way to do this! I used other lines to fill up the buttons where I wanted features to be, put the desired lines on the desired buttons, and then deleted the bogus lines to free up the buttons for features. Then I programmed the now-blank buttons for Do Not Disturb, etc. Is this the accepted approach, or is there a better way?

rhislop,
that is the correct procedure for adding lines to sets and as you've indicated, it is rather cumbersome. For that reason, you would generally want to place your feature buttons in 'reverse' order. For instance, on a 10 button set, place your first feature on button 10, second feature on button 9, etc. That way, if you decide to add additional lines or add additional SA buttons (keeping them grouped with the others) you don't need to go thru the aggravation you just experienced.

franke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back