Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I print to an IP address in MAC OS 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtorrey2

MIS
Feb 3, 2004
US
I have a Mac 8.1 OS and have a print-server IP address that I need to printer to. I am not very fluent with any Macintosh OS's. The MAC has internet connection through our network(DHCP). Is there a way to set up a printer to printer to an IP address? I dont feel like purchasing a new MINI DIN 8 cable for printing. Please be delicate with instructions.
Thanks
-JT

Generally, Macs don't require IP addresses to print to a networked printer... at least you don't have to enter it in by hand.

I believe you're printer needs to be able to use the "AppleTalk" protocol that MacOS 8 uses for printing on the network. Look at your printers usermanual/CD-ROM to see if it supports AppleTalk. If it does, then the CD-ROM will have a MacOS driver for you to install on the computer. If you don't have a usermanual/CD with the printer, look under support/drivers at the manufacturers website and download the driver you need. It'll probably be a "laserwrite 8" driver or something. Download the driver and install it on the Mac.

Using the AppleTalk Control panel (which you get to by clicking the apple in the upper left corner of the mac's display and going to "control panels") make sure the ethernet port is selected as the computers network port.

Open the Chooser (again, under the apple icon) select the "laserwriter" icon. Printers that use appletalk on the network should be visible. Select the printer you want and click "Create".

This has worked for me in the past, though right now I'm having trouble with this issue myself. I can't see the printer I'm looking for on the network even though I installed its driver. I don't know if its a problem with my printer or what. Hopefully this will work for you, but if it doesn't and you figure out a way to get it working, please let me know

~jay9333

Just a follow up, I finally got my printers working. My printer manufacturer (xerox, printer is a phaser 850) had drivers available on the website. I ran their "ppd installer" (which placed the correct ppd files in the system->extensions->PrinterDescriptions folder) and all seems to be working now.

Hope you get your problems figured out,

~jay9333

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back