Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I print a SOLID line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amartureo

Programmer
May 1, 2002
US
My DOS Foxpro programs made heavy use of ASCII characters to create vertical and horizontal lines, corners, and intersecting lines while printing. This allowed for the creation, on the fly, of printouts with attractive boxes. Now I'm having trouble in VFP even getting a nice solid line between several lines of print. I don't want to create a report, I just want some graphics created on the fly when printing. Help!

amartureo,

The old DOS line-drawing characters are still available in certain fonts, but they don't really have a place in a modern typographic-quality report.

The recommended approach is to use VFP's report designer, which has its own line drawing tool (Reports / Insert / Line). Or, if you prefer the old @/SAY style of printing, use the BOX options that Dave suggested.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

The items printed are simple enough that I've not used the report designer or @ commands, but just ? with the printer on. Sometimes a user will dump just a few lines of info to a page, do some other work, then dump a few additional lines on the paper that is still in the printer. I'd like to avoid changing thousands of lines of code in my DOS programs, but I sure can't import the code and use it with ASCII characters.

The current code from DOS uses:

SET PRIN ON
? <info, including ASCII characters, to be printed>
?
SET PRIN OFF

In case of printing with ? you can try using underscore symbol for horizontal line. It would be solid with most fonts. Not very pretty, but should work.

Underscore doesn't center well between lines. Hyphen gives me broken, unprofessional line. I really miss the ASCII characters. :(

Underscore doesn't center well between lines.
Yes, it's right, you should add an empty line after it, then it looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back