Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Print A List of Users And File Permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
My boss just asked me to print out a list of all users (around 50-75) who have access to our main server and their file permissions so that we can duplicate it across our 6 other locations. We want all of our file level access to be consistant across all 7 servers. The bad thing is that I can't find an easy and non-tedious way of doing this in NetWare Administrator. What I'm doing now is clicking on each user and then doing a print screen on all of their file access and then pasting it to a Word document. I'm at 40 pages now and I'm not even halfway done. If you know anything about NetWare 5.1 on a W2000P environment, please help me out.

My boss is a documentation freak and she wants all of this stuff printed and in a huge bound volume.

Thanks in advance.

You can download a tool from Novell called TBACKUP There are two versions of this tool. One is an executable you run from a DOS windows, the other is an NLM you run from the server console. The NLM version is recent, and I haven't had a need to use, so I can't tell you much about it.

The DOS executable will create a BAT file that will set right for all users with in a specified context to the server volumes and directories. It just uses the NetWare DOS RIGHTS command, and can be used to document who has rights to what.

One of these tools will be your key in replicating the rights to all your servers. Even though it will be good enough to the tech world for documenting user rights, it may not be good enough to managment. I recently found a kewl tool by called NetWare Revisor. This tool will create nice looking documentation in HTML format that you can then import into Word or Excel (Open Office for ya linux geeks). I have only used it to document user rights, groups, and memberships, it is also supposed to be able to restore user rights. So it may also work to replicate user rights across your servers.

I've had success using TRUSTEE.NLM. It will create a .CSV file on Sys: that you can open with Excel. It will show you who has rights and where. Print it out and your done. Should take all of 2 minutes.

JJ
CNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back