Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I prevent thumbnails appearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyGroom

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm using CorelPhotopaint and I have around 1400 CPT images in a particular folder. Each time I do anything in that folder, I have to wait while Windows draws a thumbnail of each file. It wouldn't be so bad if the thumbnails were then cached for next time, but I have to wait every time I go in there.

Can I get it so that I get the CPT icon against a CPT file, rather than a thumbnail of the image? I can't find any relevant setting in Corel so I guess it's a Windows feature?

- Andy

Try changing the view of that folder to details. Then thru Folder Options, set all folders to have the same view....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

I would set the folder's view setting to 'details' or 'list'. That should take care of the problem.

That should be the last icon on your tool bar.

Hi Guys,

Thanks, but my view is already set to List. It replaces the 16x16 icons with 16x16 thumbnails - very slowly! I want the icons to stay as Corel Photopaint icons, if possible.

- Andy

If you view the My Pictures folder in Explorer or in a File Open/Save dialog, its contents will be shown using the thumbnail interface instead of the standard List or Details views. Here's how to turn it off:
Modify the assumptions made about a given folder
Right-click on any given folder, and select Properties.
Choose the Customize tab, and choose Documents (for any file type) from the list.
Note: this feature should be available for every folder on your system except your system folders.

Every Windows XP folder provides a list of hyperlinked tasks appropriate to that type of folder next to the folder contents. For example, the Pictures folder type contains task links for ordering prints online and for printing pictures. If you want to use a folder type as a template for a selected folder, follow these steps:
1. Right–click a newly created folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Customize tab.
3. In the Use this folder type as a template list, click the template type you want to apply, and then click OK.
Now, when you open the new folder, it will contain a hyperlinked task list common to the type of folder you selected as the template.

Hi Compgirlfhredi,

Thanks for the suggestion but my folder's customization was already set to Document.

I don't believe that Windows is responsible for drawing the thumbnails, it seems to be a function of Corel. So, I still need to stop Windows from asking Corel to produce a thumbnail.

Any ideas?

- Andy

Uncheck caching of thumbnails

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

Andy,

I am having the exact same problem and can not for the life of me find out how to turn this off. I also have corel software installed on this machine.

Have you been able to find a resolution. If so please reply to jstevensm@computer-gallery.com

Thankyou
Jason Stevens

It is a function in Corel that is causing this, completely independant of WindowsXP. I think it might be an option during the initial install of Corel, but can't quite remember. If I find it I will repost.

Hi Dakota,

I gave up trying to turn it off and disassociated Corel with CPT files. If there is a way around it I'd love to know.

- Andy

Here is the resolution for my problem. My problem is in relationship to Adobe Photoshop. Right-mouse click on an image file like jpg and goto properties. There is a photoshop tab, under that tab there is a thumbnails option. After unchecking that box, my slowness has been resolved.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back