Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Prevent Acrobat from Launching while creating pdfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBBB

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
Hi,
I hope someone can help. I am using VB in Access to automatically create pdfs. All works well, except each time a pdf file is created, Acrobat will open the file for viewing. Is there any way I can suppress this launching of Acrobat as my program churns out pdfs? I suspect there is a registry setting that controls this, but don't know where to start. Please help!
D

There is a setting in Distiller that allows Acrobat to open a PDF file after creating it. In Acrobat 4, the setting is in File|Preferences|View PDF when using Distiller

I am using Adobe Writer and unfortunately there is no setting like there is in Distiller (at least that I can see)...darn! If I could switch to Distiller, I would, but my program (in Access) seems to bomb when I try. But, I was able to set the bExecViewer registry setting to 0 and this did the trick. Thanks for your input.

You need to use the Acrobat SDK. There is a way by using IAC (Inter-Application Communication) that you can launch a hidden/Service version of Acrobat that you print each individial file to. The methods you should be using involve CAcroAVDoc and CAcroPDDoc. AV, is for the viewer, PD is for limited on the fly editing. You can do a search on google for these things but I would suggest downloading the Acrobat SDK, gobs of good information and samples.

This following is a link to the 4.05 SDK, it should get you going. Remember that there are a lot of references to "Exch" methods within the document. These items have been in the SDK since Acrobat and Exchange were two different products. Acrobat being the Reader, and Exchange being the full version of Acrobat.

download.com.com/3000-2383-1639412.html?tag=list

Hope this helps!

In 6.0 this seting is under Advanced>PDF Distiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back