Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I POPUP a form (field)? Or ensure a field is filled out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovuco

ISP
Oct 30, 2001
US
Hi.
I have a field on a form that needs to be filled out everytime a new record is entered. The only problem is, I want that field to be entered last and there's a few subforms in this main form. Because of these subforms, when I set that field on the main form as a required field, it won't let you enter into the subforms, before putting data into that field on the main form. How do I bypass this and have that required field be the last field in the tab order? I have it set as the last, but it doesn't behave that way.

Maybe my solution would be to have a popup window for that required field to activate when the last entry is made, so the person knows to also fill out the required field. ?

jo

hi Buddy,

why don't you try to create an input box that will pop up, when the user creates a new record. For example, create a button Validate on which te user will have to click on to validate the input. Once he cliks, an input box will pop up and ask him to enter the value for the field you need to be filled in in all cases. If he clicks on the cancel button ,send him a MsgBox telling him that he risks to loose the information that he has just entered; If he enters info in the relevant field, then just send this info to the field on your form or directly to the underlying table.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input. But I need the field to be filled out before that record is closed out and having them click a validate button just won't be easy enough for the people who'll be using it. Isn't there a way of setting that field to be the last field to be entered and have it be required?

jo

Sorry, I do not know a way to set it as "the last field to be filled". Think again about the validate button, I do not think that this will be particularly difficult for the user to do it. just tell them to click, after filling all the fields, on this button; then perform a check for the required field. if Empty, pop up the input box. If not, just clear the form for the next record to be entered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back