Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I move EFS from back end to front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjb

Programmer
May 1, 2001
US
To improve performance, it has been suggested that I move the EFS file store from the back end server to the front end.
How many things in livelink have to be changed to make this work? Are there multiple changes on the admin page, and are there any changes to the .ini file?

Thanks

This is very vague terminology.I believe what you are saying is (Internal storage,all data stored in BLOB's) moved to External(External File Storage).If you are already on External File Store(Physical file location) then moving it from one server to another,I don't understand how it will improve performance..

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937

It is a recommendation from Opentext. Our EFS files are on the back end admin/database server. They are suggesting that we move them up to the front end web server. The index files will remain on the back end.

What version of livelink are you on...
Still you are not clear.When you add a file in your instance of livelink where does that end up.In the database or a file server...The simplest way to find that out by this query.Find a document dataid (not a folder) and say this.The output may look different all I am trying to say is whether your instance has SQL as storage or not....If you are a livelink sysadmin,you can find this from the admin.index pages as well...
Code:
SELECT a.docid ,a.versionid,a.version,a.vermdate,a.providerid ,b.PROVIDERTYPE,b.providerdata
 from dversdata a,providerdata b WHERE a.docid = 48693619 
and a.providerid=b.providerid order by version desc
If the PROVIDERTYPE COLUMN SAYS 'SQL' then that tells me your instance is Internal.Changing this to external is not very straightforward.You would need OT's help or a integrators' help,or somebody who can write code for you.Otherwise what you are trying to do is very easy,you just have to copy the EFS out and make sure the top level path and the livelink process user can still read/write BTWI case you don't know livelink's search indexes are files and not database files.Database has its own tables and its indexes.

If you have only one EFS, browse to:

/yourlivelink/livelink.exe?func=admin.extstorage&dbname=yourdb

replace yourlivelink and yourdb with your livelink instance name and yourdb with your db name.

You can enter a new location here.
Just stop all livelink services, copy the EFS to the other location and use the URL above to point Livelink to it.

The request handler does work for 9.5sp1 there is a bug.You will think it is working but you will be writing to your production external file store still.Plaese test this.The only way to change the external file store at this time in 9.5sp1 is by updating the KINI entry.It is documented in the KB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back