Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I minimise the active window with a keypress if I've disabled Aero snap? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB
I know that I should be able to minimise windows in Windows 7 by pressing the Windows Key + Down Arrow key, and this works fine until I disable Aero snap.

This seems a bit ridiculous to me, as the Aero snap checkbox says that it will "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" - which is exactly what I want to turn off. It says nothing about "and also stop really handy keypresses from working".

Any ideas how I can minimise the active window with a single keypress combo and turn off the annoying Aero snap behaviour?

Thanks!

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
[blue]@[/blue] Twitter:

Not with a single keypress, but you can do it with alt-space followed by 'n'.

Nelviticus

I've been using Alt + Space, N since Windows 3.1, so was hoping for a single keypress to save a few milliseconds. Ah well, it looks like it's back to the old faithful!

I wonder why MS in their infinite wisdom decided that an option to disable window snapping should also disable the minimising shortcut key. Then again, I'd expect nothing different from the company who took away perfectly usable menus and replaced them with the crappy ribbon bar.

Thanks anyway!

Thanks for this post. I didn't currently need it, but I did not know, or else forgot, that keyboard shortcut. Also good to know that shortcut works in older versions of Windows.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back