Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I map a wan ip to several lan ip addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I don't know if this is the right area for this post, but..

I already have 1 ftp server running which can successfully be accessed using a sub-domain, eg ftp://subdomain.domain.com which points to my wan ip address, then the nat/router points it to the primary lan ip address, I have setup another ftp server using secure ssl on a different machine on the lan, the question is, if I setup another sub-domain (this sub-domain also points to my wan ip), how do I get the sub-domain to translate into the other lan ip address I use for the secure ftp server? So that when a user enters (either on the internet or local) the 1st address, it gets routed to the standard ftp server, and when the 2nd address is entered, it get routed to the secure ftp server.

E.G.
subdomain.domain.com = wan ip = 192.168.x.(server 1)
subdomain2.domain.com = wan ip = 192.168.x.(server 2)

The above example is what I'm looking for.

For the intranet, use the HOSTS file.

For the WAN, I suspect you will need to use non-standard ports. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port #
And forward these ports through the router.

I am not sure what OS and web server you are running, buty you might consider offering these files under a web page accessible to any browser rather than use FTP.

I use Win XP Pro, IIS 5.0 for the web server only, Serve-U as the ftp server (3rd party ftp software has much more better security control than IIS).

Offering the files to web browsers? I would need (exagerate slightly), hundreds of links on many web pages, so that IE can download the files when the links are clicked on.

To see what I mean, have a look at this it's my music page that contains a list of links to listen to mp3 files, that I have either composed or re-created.

Just imagine if I had over 100 files placed on a web server, I would need the same number of links with the file name as the link, spread out over several pages, that's why ftp is better, it allows to see the whole directory.

As your are using XP and IIs, as Administrator right-click any folder, Properties, and see what you find under the Web Pages tab.

There are sites that use this to support tens of thousands of files with full sub-folder support.

I apologize, the tab under Properties in Explorer is called "Web Sharing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back