Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I map a share on my pc so Toshiba Pkt pc can see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHorton

Programmer
Jan 29, 2000
US
I'm trying to import files from a program on my Toshiba e300. Yes, I can see the folders on the Toshiba from my PC, but I need to do the reverse--the program on the handheld does something with them so I can't just drag them via PC to handheld. Typing in a valid sharname does not work, the tohsiba says 'the network path was not found'.

In the 'connections' section, it's asking for a friggin' modem! What's up with that? I have a direct connection to the 'mother ship' pc via the USB cable that came with it--but it doesn't seem to list that as a valid connection??!!

How can I make this work? Thanks,
--Jim

normally, you should have a folder on your desktop labelled something like pocket_pc my documents. The files in this folder are synced automatically.
You work on a file on your pocketpc, and when you put it in its cradle, the files are updates on your desktop and fice-versa.
Hope this helps you out.
kind regards
Jan Carpentier

Jan,
Thanks, but no, it doesn't quite help. I can see the folders on the toshiba, I can explore them, etc. But I need the reverse. I need to be able to explore my pc from the toshiba. I know I have connectivity, because I can do the internet from the toshiba (which was a purely academic exercise, because this is while it's in the cradle--I don't have a modem or any other connectivity aside from the usb)

Anyway, the gist of it is that when I try to make a 'connection' in the 'Connections' icon of the 'Connections' tab of the 'Settings' menu, the first 2 of the connections seem to require a modem, the third--Network Adapter--has no settings that I can set there. Elsewhere, there is a network adapter section where I set the ip address, the ip of the 'server' which will be the pc, and even the dns. This is why I can do the internet, I think, but if I can do the internet, why can't I see my pc?
Thanks for any more help,
--jim

Jim,

I have a HP Compaq PDA and I was having the same issue. But it wasn't an issue at all. I connect to my Laptop two ways; bluetooth and USB. Once I connect I'm able to go to windows explorer via my laptop and view my PDA. At 1st I was able to view the PDA but not able ot browse to the folders, until I clicked the PDA drive a few times via explorer via my laptop and then I didn't have any problems. When you get a chance try it. Link your PDA to your computer, then active explorer on your PC then locate the PDA and click the Icon a few times you should then be able to view all folders on your PDA and transfer with no problem.

PJ

PJ,
Thanks, but I can do that already. What I'm looking for is the reverse--I want to browse the PC from the PDA. There is a program on the PDA that has an option in it's file dialog that does some conversions that aren't done via dragging and dropping from the PC side to the PDA.

It's also become sort of a matter of priciple--I know it can be done, and even if I had a workaround for the file conversions, I just want to figure this out so that when the time comes that it's really urgent--I can do it.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back