Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I manually remove an old version of Director?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerDog

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
CA
I am trying to upgrade my IBM Director sever installation to 5.1 but there is an older version of Director on the server that won't uninstall properly. This causes 5.1 to stop during the installation when it can't remove the old installation.

I don’t have an extra extensions installed, IBM Director is the only thing that shows up in Add/Remove programs.

I’m actually not sure what version the older installation is. We had 4.20 installed and it worked fine, but IBM Director showed up twice in Add/Remove programs. Apparently there was some trouble upgrading from the older version to 4.20 so the older install is probably one of the eralier versions. The 4.20 version that we were actually using uninstalled fine, but the older one won’t uninstall.

When I try and remove either thru Add/Remove Programs or by installing 5.1 it comes up with the following error;

“The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the “IBM Director Server” disk and click OK.”

I’ve tried directing it to the 5.1 disk and the 4.2 disk but no luck.

The old installation that is on the server doesn’t actually work, the services don’t load and the IBM directory isn’t even in Program Files anymore. If I could find a way to manually remove the old version or get 5.1 to install without trying to remove it, I would be a happy camper.

Thanks

At the Director download site, there is a download for IBM Director Tools - use Dirclean from this download to clear out all the old Director stuff, reboot, then install v5.10.

I found that soon after I posted this and it worked.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back