Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make the modem silent when dialling? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyGroom

Programmer
May 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a Hayes external modem, I want it to dial up silently when I connect to the internet.

I've set the Speaker volume to Off but I still hear it.

Is there a setting somewhere else?

- Andy.

Depends what operating system you are running - if it is Windows based then it generally follows the form

Start\Settings\Control Panel\Modem or Phone and Modem Options.

Select this and you should see a list of modems installed on your system. Right click the Hayes modem, then select Properties and there are a number of options. On the first tab there should be a slider for modem volume control, adjust accordingly. If this is not on the first tab then check the others, (trying to do this by memory for you as I don't have modems installed here). If you are on xp to get to the modem properties you can go via network connections then select the modem then adjust the volume.

Hope this is of some use.
Filf

Hi Filf,

Thanks, but the volume is already slid to 'Off' but I still hear it dialling.

Is there maybe an AT command that I can pass in the initialisation string to make it silent?

- Andy.

Try these

ATL Speaker volume settings

L0 Lowest speaker volume
L1 Low speaker volume
L2 Medium speaker volume
L3 Highest speaker volume

ATM Speaker control

M0 Speaker always off
M1 Speaker on until carrier detected
M2 Speaker always on
M3 Speaker on only while answering

The solution is out there. [morning]

ATM+0 (zero, not the letter O). Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

That was already posted !! The solution is out there. [morning]

But the syntax wasn't made clear to the person requesting. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Cut the speaker wire??? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

After all that...

Yes, putting ATM0 in the modem initialisation string did the trick, I get a silent dial-up.

Just out of interest, for those who remember the sound of a VIC20 loading a game, can the modem be set so that the data sound is always on even after the modem connects?

- Andy.

I'm not to sure how you could get the modem to make the noise, but you could dial-up and lift up the reciever & listen. If you had one of those phone bugs, you'd even be able to record the noises being made, you could then plug this in to your line-in socket of your soundcard to capture the sound / hear it in realtime.

Hmm, a hardware solution :)

I'm sure there must be an AT command instead!

- Andy.

nope, though luck, back to the VIC20.

PS :You still have it? I do! [bigcheeks] The solution is out there. [morning]

VIC20? Acutally, I have two! Couldn't resist reliving my youth...

Mind you, I think I paid more for one on eBay than I did when I bought one 20 years ago!

- Andy

Jee, I am lucky then, I still have the one from back then, one and a half, and 2 C64's. Some other antiques too.
Where are the times ... plug in the thing, hook up TV set, and off you were. The solution is out there. [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back