Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make the header update on all of my letters I have saved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwi11is

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2008
GB
Hi there,

I have 400 letters that all have the same header. I want to be able to change the header on one letter and make all of the letters update based on the changes I have made to the firt letter.

Would any body be able to tell me of a way that would allow me to do this ? I have been told that a good idea may be to use VBA and make a hiden Excel spreadsheet that contains the header infomation that the letters will pull the infomation from.

Any ideas would be great,

Thanks,

What application are you letters in?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Have you heard that the roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was...
Sir Cumference![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for your reply,

All my letters are in Microsoft Word 2003

Hope you can help and thanks,

No,

All the letter are standard letters that I use on a daily basis. They are all letters that I send to clients and all have different information in them. All i am wanting to do is change the header on all of them, but I obviously dont want to go through 400 letters and do this, so I was hoping there was a way to do it just on one, and then all of the others would update with the new header.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for that,

Could someone explain how I would go about using that then ?

I have never done that before ?

1. " I obviously dont want to go through 400 letters and do this"

No matter what method you use, you will have to open each file and change it. You are going to have to go through the 400 letters.

2. I am curious...so I have to ask why. If these are letters already sent, why do you want to change the header? If these are letters - 400? - that have NOT been sent, but will be sent, then you most definitely should be using a template (.dot) file.

Document cloned from a standard letter-type template can have different information. Do this all the time. The letter structure is standard (hence a template), but the specific information can, and is, different.

3. The link tf1 gave is fairly self explanatory, but if you need serious assistance, as it is a code solution, please post specific questions to the VBA forum.

Essentially, you take the given code and put in a code module. You can put it in normal.dot if you really want. It is a global template. Then you give it the real values for your situation - PathToUse = "C:\Test\" is not likely the path for your files - and you execute the procedure.

You did not state if files in subfolders were required to be processed. As stated, if that is a requirement, you should probably use FileSearch rather than Dir.

In any case, #1 point remains. You will have to open and process all 400.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back