Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make connections . 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEFF

MIS
Jul 29, 1999
US
I am new to cabling and need some help. I am networking my home and wanted to know how to make the cable. I have a small hub several wall plates alot of cable and RJ45's what is the pin config for the RJ45's. Thanks.

Well here is a quick lesson on cabling.<br>
<br>
1. using a RJ-45 Crimper Cut one end off straight.<br>
<br>
2. Then using the crimper strip the cover about a half of an inch down from the end of the cable leaving only the inner wires sticking out. This will take practice so you don't cut through the inner wires.<br>
<br>
3. What your going to find is 8 wires wrapped in 2's. Probably: a blue with white stripe and a blue, a green with white stripe and a green, a brown with white stripe and a brown, and an orange with white stripe and orange.<br>
<br>
4. Now unwrap and straighten the wires out so that the striped blue is next to the blue, then the striped green next to the green and so on. (Note you can do it in any order that is easiest for you, I just like it this way.)<br>
<br>
5. Now with your fingers carefully bend them back and forth trying to straighten them out. So that they are in a perfect (or as close as possible) line. then with the crimper cut the tip of in a straight line so that all the ends are the same length, don't cut more than is needed to make them equal in length.<br>
<br>
6. Then grab a fresh RJ-45 connector and slide it onto the end (I prefer the view of the bottom, it allows you to see the wires going in), pushing as hard as you can until it is all the way in and the wires are touching the metal contacts on the inside.<br>
<br>
7. Now crimp the end using the RJ-45 tool.<br>
<br>
8. That's it for one end. Now the only way your network will work(this is really important) is if both ends of the cable are made the same exact way. So remember how you cabled the first end and the way you set the wires, then do the same for the other end. Thats it!!!<br>
<br>
Do that for all computers, and with a little configuring in Windows or what ever you are using to network, the computers will now see each other.<br>

Thanks I was just giving him/her a sense of the job.

All the answers above are correct but if your running into a hub as long as you have a straight through cable it does'nt matter what color code you use. As long as there the same on each side.

I thought that is what I said. I believe I stated <br>
"Now unwrap and straighten the wires out so that the striped blue is next to the blue, then the striped green next to the green and so on. (Note you can do it in any order that is easiest for you, I just like it this way.)"<br>
<br>
And later stated <br>
"That's it for one end. Now the only way your network will work(this is really important) is if both ends of the cable are made the same exact way. So remember how you cabled the first end and the way you set the wires, then do the same for the other end. Thats it!!!"<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

i think what tracers is trying to point out is a person above said to follow a link to get the correct wiring code.<br>
<br>
And thanks jsauce because i didn't know how to do rj45, I have just put in a network for a youth club and used bnc because it seemed easyer!!

I ran a BNC network for many months, but I in fact find that RJ45 is actually easier. After running the network which had 15 computers for months without problems, the network stopped working. I immediately went through the process of weeding out the person who created the problem, by checking the connections to each computer, and alas found someone accidently unplugged the network. I have also run into people pulling off the terminators which creates the same problem. While this doesn't sound like a big deal it is a quick way to shut down a network. Using RJ45 connections and HUBS, you can prevent this problem, since if one person becomes disconnected you do not automatically lose the whole network. Besides the advantages are obvious if connecting to a T1 multi-plexer.

I don't know how much relevance this has to the discussion, but the above is universally true only for Ethernet connections. Certain serial connections (notably Maxpeed 8-port serial cards from UNIX servers to PC's) actually require that the ends be mirrored, or configured oppositely on one end from the other. Just a footnote for anyone still using serial connections; my advice would be to go with Ethernet anyway.

You should always use the correct color code for your connectors. Dont invent your own color code. If you split the pairs and later decide to run at 100 Mgz you will have to rewire all the plugs. The correct code is<br>pin #&nbsp;&nbsp;color<br>1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WH/OR<br>2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OR/WH<br>3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WH/GN<br>4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BL/WH<br>5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WH/BL<br>6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;GN/WH<br>7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WH/BN<br>8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BN/WH<br><br>So if you are looking at the plug with the pins facing up and the wire feeding in through the bottom of the plug, the pin numbers start from left and go to the right and are the same at both ends of the cable.<br><br>&nbsp;I hope this helps..<br>TM

Thank you very much TomMcL2 and luke I hate to see people do things half way and make future problems for themselves. I'm sure that NEFF's network is in and functional by now, but is it to CAT 5 specs?<br><br>

I agree with TomMcL2. I used to think that straight thru was straight thru no matter what the order; as long as the wires were the same at both ends. This was fine at 10mps, but I had problems with long runs at 100mps. I purchased a good cable tester ($1600) which failed my runs every time. Seems as though 1,2,3 and 6 are the wires used for cat5. If you terminated the pairs straight thru (OW/O;GW/G;BW/B;BrW/BR) you can see that 3 and 6 are from different pairs- GW and B. If you were to pull back the insulation on a run you would find that each colored pair is twisted together, and THEN the PAIRS are TWISTED around EACHOTHER. The longer the run, the longer the difference in the actual length of each pair (due to the twists). You now have wire 3 and 6 at disproportinate lengths thus interupting transmission rates.<br>I am not a cabling expert by any means. This is what I was taught and would appreciate any other takes.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Siemon is an excellent source of info and so is Hubbell:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new"> links give a little more guidelines.<br><br>The next stuctured cabling standards will not include coax in the specifications. This is a big sign that the days of coax and bnc are numbered.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, use the standard wiring diagrams--saves you hours of work later. It is not a matter of IF you will need to troubleshoot someday, but WHEN you will need to troubleshoot. <br><br>And when you go to 100 Mbps, the wiring becomes very sensitive to external factors. Once, a co-worker's computer couldn't see Network Neighborhood, so I moved the power cord that was draped over & alongside the network cable, and the network came back.<br><br>Any time spent learning about wiring is a good investment, as networking of computers is not just a passing fad.<br><br>

Hey,

I am attempting to use a wall crimper for a RJ45 wire coming out of the wall. What is the correct color scheme for this? And, how difficult is this to do? It wil be my first time.

Thanks

The PC & Laptop were 'seeing' each other this morning and communicating - they're connected by a blue cable and ethernet connection but I must have deleted something and now the PC says the drive or network connection that the shortcut refers to is unavailable. Is there somewhere I can download the missing drive? Or is there a network connection instruction that I need to give it? All asssistance greatly appreciated - I'm a total novice to this.

Thanks

Hi,
i've just establish a win2k server.
i run an infrastructure through the walls and it's not working.
than i decided to run a straight through wire and check maybe something is disturbing the infrastructure and also it wasn't working.
when i connected i crossedwire cable from the server straight to the workstation the &quot;saw&quot; each other.
now, i have a 10/100 Mps base HUB by Linksys 16 ports and i'm using UTP CAT5 cables.
i'll realy apreciate it if you have an advise for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back