Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make a user logon screen when I am on a network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaux

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
US
When I first installed my network, Windows 98 had a network logon dialog box and then a user logon dialog box. Somehow I got rid of the user logon box, but now I want it back.
The problem is when I try to setup Windows to be used by more than one user, it takes the network logon name as the user name and doesn't let me choose a user after I'm logged on to the network.
How can I get the network and the user separated like they were before?

Go to Control Panel, Users and Passwords and select that you want each user to supply their own information to logon A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given and if you like my advice, please mark it as helpful.

That's what I was talking about when I said "when I try to setup Windows to be used by more than one user". When I do that, it takes the network logon name as the user name and doesn't let me put in a user name. How can I get it to let me put in a user name after I am logged on to the internet?

...I mean logged on to the _network_. (Sorry)

Beaux,

Resetting your passwords almost never fails.

1. Go to C:\Windows
Delete all .pwl files

2. Open system.ini
Delete all lines under
[Password Lists]

3. Go to ControlPanel>Network
Choose Client for Microisoft Networks as Primary Login

Reboot

You should now get the login box. Type your name and password.

Not yet, try:
Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current version\network\real mode netIf you see an entry named AutoLogon, delete it.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back