Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make a mailbox a Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetta1127

Technical User
Apr 26, 2011
US
I need to add a new employee to have access to the "Manager" option from her handset. We have the NEC Dterm Series i 16 button phones.

Assuming you are referring to the VM, Log in with a current system manager, then go to the mailbox and check the Manager box option.

Thank you belevedere but I do not have that option I am a "system manager", when I enter her mailox number, the system asks if I want to delete the secruity code, and then if I want to delete the mailbox. I select no, and then no, and those are my only options.

you need to log in with cosessions to make the change that you want. It cannot be done through the phone.

I do not know how to do that, can you give me instructions, please?

You need to use CoSession; it's a computer program.
You'll need a serial cable to attach to the voicemail card.
Once logged into CoSession and the voicemail, you can set the manager options for the mailbox there.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Well, I've never heard of cosession. Our previous phone techs added managers without that so my guess is there is another way. We do have Matworks, not sure if that is similar to cosession.

Cosessions is a dialing program that the VM uses to communicate either directly with the VM card or remotely. It may not be readily available anymore. You best bet at this time is to call in your vender. Many options in the VM can only be done while directly connected such as one key dialing and setting up VM trees.

Our previous phone techs added managers without that so my guess is there is another way.

Well, if you happen to find it, I'd be interested in knowing. NEC says the only way to manage those settings is with CoSession.

Matworx allows you to program the phone system, but the voicemail is a separate computer on a card inside the machine, and cannot be accessed with Matworx.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

If you have Matworx this is a 2000 I?? system. Therefore it is likely that your voicemail is an external system, unless it is an AD-8 or IM-16. If so, just put a monitor on the sucker if it doesn't have one and login from there. The login is 9+the mailbox and the VM password for the mailbox you already know. F2 to login, Ctrl-D to go to the directory, PGUP/DN to the mailbox or perform a find, then F5 (i think) to add, and select Manager Status. There are several VM's for this system that have web based admin, even going back a few years. If it is an AD-64 there is a WIN32 App to manage the VM.

Ok, I was able to give System Manager access to my new user. I am set up to access our voice mail system although I'm not sure that it's called "cosession". The main screen says NEAXMail IM-16. Once I logged on, I went to the Personal Directory screen, entered CTRL J, arrowed down to System ID, entered the extension, pressed F8 to Add, and then selected System Manager. Thank you all for your help!

I am a "system manager", when I enter her mailox number, the system asks if I want to delete the secruity code, and then if I want to delete the mailbox.

... from a handset

The main screen says NEAXMail IM-16.

... from the Voicemail server.

So, bottom line was, you couldn't set someone as a system manager FROM A HANDSET, you had to do it from the Voicemail server.

It's not possible to give someone system manager access from a handset.

The discussion about CoSession was if it was an "In-Skin" voicemail, which is how you would have had to do it. However, since your system sounds like it's a 2000, with a separate voicemail server (instead of an in-skin voicemail; one that is on a card and inserted into the computer) you were able to log into the voicemail server directly and give system manager access.

So... the bottom line is; a more complete description about the phone system to start with would have answered this question MUCH sooner. Since you can pretty much use any NEC phone on any NEC system, knowing what model phones you have didn't identify the underlying system.

:) Just for future reference. Glad you got it resolved.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back