Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make 3-D text?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxymoron

Technical User
Dec 17, 2000
GB
Hi, I'm a Photoshop Newbie (have PS 7) so sorry if this is all obvious to everyone.
I have a background image, and I wanted to create text over the top that uses the background image, but appeares as if it had been elevated.
A-bit like those corporate toys where u make a 3d imprint of ur hand by pushing the pins.
Anyway, hope someone knows what i mean.
Thankyou for all your help, any and all suggestions are very welcome!

Cheers, Oxy

we are all of us living in the gutter.
But some of us are looking at the stars.

Hi,

There are a few ways to do this.

What I would do is create your background inmage on the bottom layer, then select the horizontal type mask tool located under the type tool, click and hold and you will see more tools drop out from the (T) icon. Then type your text. It will appear as a marquee, then select the marquee tool (M) and move the text to where you want it to be, then with the background layer selected press Ctrl+J, that will make a copy of that part of the background but in the shape of the text. Next select the move tool (V) and offset the text slightly then add a dropshadow to it LAYER > LAYER STYLE > DROP SHADOW

That is a very basic way to do it.

Hope this helps!

Nate

mainframe.gif

Try this.
Type in your text which will appear on a new layer. Best if the font is really 'chunky' . Any colour.
Click on the Eye symbol to the left of the text layer to make it invisible.
Now make the background layer active by clicking in the layers palette. Hold down the Command key and click on the text layer within the layers palette. This will select the text outline.
Now COMMAND + J will copy that selection of the background to a new layer.
From the dropdown menu LAYER, select LAYER STYLE, then BEVEL and EMBOSS. Outer bevel might be the best option to start with. You will have to eperiment with the settings for desired result. Make sure you have 'Preview' on so that you can see the effect as you go.
Now you have your picture embossed in the shape of text. Go to LEVELS ( Command+L). Brighten the highlights and darken the shadows to give more definition.
Also by changing the blending modes in the layers palette you can produce some interesting efects.
Have fun.

Sorry Oxymoron if I confuse you with keyboard strokes - I'm on AppleMac.

type some text(new layer)....copy layer and nudge it....repat 4-5 times or until staisfied!
drop shadow and Bevel are your friends
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Try this for a much simpler way with loads of different options at the click of the mouse.

Take a picture or coloured background

Select the Horizontal Text Tool (T)

Type your text and move it to where you want it on the picture

Make sure you have the Layers palette open, if not select window from the drop down menu's LAYERS

Now select the "f" button at the bottom left of the layers palette (Add a layer style) and select Bevel and Emboss

Now the fun starts

Change Style to EMBOSS, Directiion to DOWN

Need I say more!! Play with the styles depth Up & Down etc. till you get the idea and the effect you want.

You can also play with the Inner Glow, Drop Shadow etc. settings as well. After a couple of months try some different text ;o)

Im having trouble as well, i can do all the above things, but still, cant exactly get it properly 3D. Is there no way to make it totally 3D in photoshop?

The options that everyone has given are 2-dimensional tricks because you are working with a 2-dimensional image editor. For type that is more easily manipulated in the 3D realm, try a 3D program like the gadget from
You can also create 3D type with word art in Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.ogr Writer.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

A google search on [3D text Photoshop] yields many links...one of these tutorials may be right for you..for example:

There is another neat trick you can find at
You can overlay text on an un-even surface like a waving flag or a tee shirt being worn by a shapely person.

Click Tips and Techniques
Scroll down to PS7.0 Tips until you see "Liquify Alert"

The movie tutorial can be downloaded from there. To view the movie you will also need to download Apples "QuickTime" movie player, it's freeware from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back