Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I lock Internet Explorer for a certain user profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunter40

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2001
US
I have a user who shares a PC with another user. They both have separate profiles and logins. How do I lock down Internet Explorer to a couple of sites for one user without affecting the other user?

You should be able to go into that users account add those sites to interenet explorers restricted sites and make sure you dont allow the account priviledge to modify it.

Thank you for your quick response, electronicsfreak,
I signed on as the user, and used Content Advisor to restrict sites, but when I log off and sign on as the other user, the sites are also restricted. Is there a step I'm missing?

hm strange im using win2k pro and I just tried it on here and it works fine for individual accounts.

Are you using internet explorer 6? also do you have the latest service pack and all updates?

The computer I'm trying to use for these logons is Windows 2000. I just tried it on my computer, which is Windows XP, SP2, with updates as of last week, and it still affected other users. Here is what I do: I log on as 'stopuser', in Internet Explorer, I enable Content Advisor, set up a password and only specify that one site can be used. When I try to call up any other site, it asks for a password. Then I log off of stopuser and log on as myself. When I go into Internet Explorer and try to call up any site, I get the Content Advisor, asking for the password. Does the fact that the stopuser is a roaming profile have anything to do with the problem?

Ok I think I see how your doing this. Im not sure on the profile however let me show you how I did it and then let you try for your going about it a differnet way. I go to internet options on internet explorer, click the security tab, now click restricted sites and enter the site on there. You can click custom level to specicy how or what you want to restrict on the site. Im about to take off so I will be gone for about 4 hours however do reply to this and let me know if that fixes your problem.

I want to restrict ALL sites except for one. That's why I thought I would have to use Content Advisor.

Sorry didnt realize you were wanting to restrict all thought you were just trying to restrict a couple of sites. I am not sure how you block all but one for I have not ever tried it. Sorry im not able to help in that area, anyone else in this forum that reads this that has any ideas feel free to say.

Thank you anyway for your help, electronsicsfreak!

smah, thank you for the response, but this article states "You cannot create different Content Advisor settings for different users on the same computer", and that's exactly what I want to do. I find it hard to believe that somehow there isn't a way to set up Internet Explorer by user. The only thing that I may have to resort to doing is giving the Content Advisor password to the user who can have all access, and have him put the password in each time he wants to browse websites. Basically will be a pain, though.

Well there probally is 3rd party programs for that but i dont know how good they work but if you really need it worth a try to look up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back