Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I link info in table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbazabba

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
GB
Hi!

I have a form at the moment with the fields 'student name' and 'course' (amongst others).

the field 'Student name' has a drop down menu linked to a table listing all the student names. On the same table is a column stating each students course.

How can I link this info together so that when you enter a student name on the form, their course appears in the 'course' field on the form?

I'm sure this is easily done but i'm stuck!

Cheers

Phil

Right.

'COURSE' and 'STUDENT NAME(F/T)' are both fields in the table 'STUDENT NAMES'. Is it case sensitive? I've tried both anyway!

Again when you click on the drop down on the form, it comes up with a parameter query window that says 'ENTER PARAMETER VALUE - STUDENT NAME(F/T) STUDENT NAMES'. Why is this window appearing?

Then you click ok and it comes up with an error message:

'The Specified field 'STUDENT NAMES' could refer to more than one table listed in the FROM clause in your SQL statement.'

Does it think that 'STUDENT NAMES' is a field name not the table name?

I tried swapping it around so it read "table.field" instead of "field.table"

SELECT [STUDENT NAMES].[STUDENT NAME(F/T)], [STUDENT NAMES].[COURSE] FROM [STUDENT NAMES];

Still gives the parameter window, click ok and the drop down menu appear with nothing in it...Worth a try!

over to you...

Phil.

Just cause I'm running out of ideas, try taking the "(F/T)" out of the field name.

No Joy unfortunately..

Don't get this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back