Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i know if the router hardware is defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odd0n3

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
MP
Jan.30

Hi.. i'm just a newbie with routers.. so please help me..

I have 2 cisco 1601 connected back to back.. one DCE and the other DTE. encap is HDLC. clockrate on the DCE is 64000.
Both routers have Serial is up and Line protocol is up.

From router A (DCE), I cound ping router B (DTE) but it's 1000ms ++. checking the sh int se0 on both routers. RouterA (DCE) has increasing CRC, Frame and Output Errors but RouterB (DTE) is clean (all zeroes).

I tried to invert the configs and the cables.. making RouterA (DTE) with no clockrate and RouterB (DCE) with clockrate 64000. Still RouterA has increasing CRC, Frame, Output Errors and RouterB still clean with zeroes.

does my routerA have a defective serial interface?

How do i know if it's a Hardware problem or software problem? because I am about to erase the IOS software and install a new IOS on RouterA.. will that help? I am new to this.. like erase the IOS and installing.. so will this help me solve my problem?

thanks in advance.

More than likely the IOS is not the problem here. If you've replaced your cables and this is still happening, then I'd look to have router A replaced.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Thanks, Sir! (IPKONFIG)

But I just found out something else.. i tested it yesterday.. and i still need all your help, please.. both routers A and B are fine.. no hardware defects.. the scenario is like this..

internal Lan --->Switch (3com) ---> RouterA (cisco 1601)

my internal LAN consists of 10 and 100Mbps workstations.. the 3com switch is 10/100 Mbps capable.. i don't know if this the problem or not.. my router.. the Cisco 1601 has 10 Base T ethernet Inferface.. so that makes 10 Mbps, right?

so my Internal Lan consists of mix 10s and 100s.. when it's like that.. my Router becomes berserk on the Serial Side.. it shows Increasing Output Errors, CRC and Frame

i turned off all the 100Mbps workstations.. then cleared my counters on my router.. then like wow.. now my router's serial are all clean.. no output errors, CRC and Frame.. and it doesnt increment at all.. and no latency when I ping another PC on the other side..

Do you think that's the solution? Is there any other solution? Do I have to config my router to have "No Ip route-caches" or "No Ip directed-broadcast"?

My switch isn't manageable so I can't do anythin from there.

My Network looks like this :

LAN A(10.0.1.0/26)-->RouterA<-->RouterB<--LAN B(10.0.2.0/26)

please help me.. i am not well experienced with this..

thank you in advance =)

Sounds like a cheap 3com switch to me. Make sure your ethernet on the routers is set to full duplex as well. Any good switch should be able to auto-negotiate the rate if your router is at 10Mbs. I'd replace the swicth first, then troubleshoot from there. Try switch ports in the switch and see if it persists. Switch ports go bad sometimes.

Thanks..

after some numerous changes, it went good but not yet accecptable.. because now i'm getting increasing defferred counts..

what i did was i changed my routing..

before it was ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.2
now i made it to ip route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.240 10.0.0.2

now my PCs can work 10/100 mbps mix.. BUT i'm getting incompete when doing sh arp.. and my eth0 has increasing deffered counts?

I tried changing cables, i changed the port where my router is plugged in to the switch..

still the same..

*sigh* why does everything should be complicated?!

hoping for your answers.. what does increasing deffered mean? and &quot;incomplete&quot; when doing sh arp? puhleaseee help...

i dont have late collisions or excessive.. only those i mentioned above..

BTW i'm using cisco 1600 which has a eth of 10Mbps/Half ONLY..

i tried changing to full duplex.. but it wont allow me =(

if you're givin me an option to buy new stuff.. i can't.. because someone's hindering me.. i hope you know what i mean =)

is this the only solution.. to make all workstations 10Mbps/half?

I seriously doubt your 10mb ethernet interface can't handle a couple of pings.

Post a &quot;show interface ethernet 0&quot; and a &quot;show interface serial 0&quot;.

Also... Try changing your clock rate to 56000.

Thanks to all! =)

I've solved my own problem. Just made static arps - for the last problem, i encountered.

everythins fine now, finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back