Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I know if my Video Card slot is AGP or PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icehound

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
US
Is there a way I can find out without opening my case? Thanks.

Go into the device manager and change the view setting from "Devices by Type" to "Devices by Connection". Search through and see if the video card driver is placed under the agp driver listing or not.

I found my Graphics Controller under:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC --> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System --> PCI Bus --> Intel Graphics Controller

Does this mean it's PCI or both or what?

Okay I bought a Geforce FX 5200 PCI card today and I'm having a heck of a time getting it in. I mean, the bottom of the card fits the PCI slot, but I can't get the full card inside the comp before the edge of the card hits the edge of the computer. I dont know why the stupid PCI slots are so dang close to the edge of the computer, but now I have no clue what to do...

Are you sure the card is PCI? I wasn't aware that they made FX 5200 PCI cards. I thought the fastest PCI cards out there were the GeForce4 MX's.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Why has nobody suggested taking the side off and having a look!!!. Prob the easiest and most reliable way if you only want to determine if you have one or not.

norty,
Yes, I agree with you. However, the original post asked:

"[blue]Is there a way I can find out without opening my case?[/blue]"

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Well i think i got it but i'm still not sure cause mine is located under this:

Personal standard computer -> PCI Bus -> VIA tech CPU to AGP controller -> My Graphic Card!

But then when i right clicked "properties" on my grapich card, it says that it is located at PCI slot 1!!!!!!!!

So my card is AGP or PCI?

I am not 100% certain but your problem is probably to do with IRQ allocations. As far as I can remember some AGP cards are set to use an IRQ that would otherwise be used by the PCI bus. The computer sees the IRQ number and presumes that it is connected to the PCI slot1 when in fact it is the AGP card. Others here probably know about this in more detail so I am quite prepared to be corrected.

Kim Leece.

You Were right!
I opend up my computer, and saw that it was AGP.
The AGP slot was located near the PCI bus so (like you said) it probobly got confused because of that. Thanks anyway though!

the agp slot sometimes share an irq with the pci slot closest to it.
for this reason it should be the last pci slot you use.

The difference between an AGP slot and a PCI slot are unmistakable - an AGP card will never go into the "last PCI slot".... To help make it easier for you, AGP slots are shorter in length and are typically brown in color, while PCI slots are longer in length than the AGP slot and are white in color. The AGP slot is always above the last PCI slot, between it and your CPU.
This should clear up any confusion as to what kind of card you have.

Why hasnt anyone suggested running Aida32? surely this would answer his questions? or possibly SISoft Sandra? or even Belarc Advisor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back