Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I kill the mdem noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtanium

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
GB
Never had this problem before, but I recently upgraded from Win98 to XP. I also changed from a micro on board modem to a PCI card modem, in particular a Connexant. Since installing and updating the driver from Windoze, the modem won't turn off the sound from the PC internal speaker, not stereo ones. I have of course done the obvious things like turned the slider in MODEM PROPERTIES to the off position and also tried adding the string "M0" capital M and number zero, in the advanced.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Tom

Just ran into a similar post in the modem forum, so I'll paste my response here...

One other tip, if you have turned of the sound in your modem's properties, it may not automatically propogate to existing dialers. So, if you have an Earthlink, or similar dial up isp connection, go to the properties of your connection in Dial Up Networking (found in my computer). You'll find a modem listing there, with a properties. Hit it up, and turn down the volume there as well.

If you have a dial-up service with proprietary software such as AOL, look for expert setup or modem setup in there, you may find more options for your modem, such as the ability to turn down volume, or edit the initialization string as suggested above.

Matt J.

Launch HyperTerminal:

Type the following command:

ATZ (hit Enter) && Initialize modem
ATM (hit Enter) && Mute modem. Most hayse compatible will work with it.

Ali Koumaiha
TeknoSoft Inc
Farmington Hills, Michigan

Mattjurado - I thank you for your comments, however the problem was not cured. This refers to XP not Win9x, the difference being that My Network Places in XP doesn't show a "sound slide" just a radio button to either enable/disable modem speakers.

Ali Koumaiha - sounds great but when I launch hyperterminal, all i get is a request for a tel number for a connection, you'll have to take me through this technique step by step please. I have never used Hyperterminal before.

Thanks

Tom

I thought I might bump this one back to the top for further consideration.

Let me add that I have "rolled back" to the previous modem driver which stopped working, and had to do a system restore. It's working again now, but still noisy. I did try the added string L1 which stopped the modem from working.

Cheers
Tom

Tom,

Try this one it might work, it is similar to mattjurado's post. Open your network connections and then right click on your dial up connection (i.e. AT&T, Earthlink, etc.) and click on properties. On the first tab you will see a configure button under the modem listing. Click on configure and then uncheck Enable Modem Speaker.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all who have tried, especially latest contributors ITSWORK & BNORCUTT, but still the noise remains. Anybody out there know a registry hack?

Cheers
Tom

go with a cable modem j/k

[peace]

[tt]

buffalo.gif height="60px" width="30px"

[sup]​

Not an option at present, but thanks.

Cheers
Tom

From Kelly Theriot's notes on XP:

Go to Start/Control Panel/Modem/Connection/Advanced. In the extra settings box type: M0, ( 0 being a zero ).
or...

Open the Control Panel--select Start, Control Panel--and assuming you're in the Classic View, double-click Phone and Modem Options. (From Category View, select Network and Internet Connections, and in the left pane, click Phone and Modem Options.) Click the Modems tab, and with your modem selected, click Properties. Click the Modem tab (again), move the lever under Speaker volume all the way to the left and click OK.

Tip: Open Network Connections, right click your dial-up connection and select Properties, then click "Configure..." and uncheck "Enable modem speaker".

I have of course done the obvious things like turned the slider in MODEM PROPERTIES to the off position and also tried adding the string "M0" capital M and number zero, in the advanced.

Thanks Bill, but as you can see, I've tried everything I know, I just thought that soemone might have a reg hack.

Cheers

Tom

I have the same problem as Tomtanium. I have done a lot of googling and have concluded that this seems to be an undocumented feature of Windows XP. Thank you Mr. Gates!!!

I will continue to work to find a fix for this XP flaw and post what I find.

Jim: A+, MCP W2k, Master Electrician

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing..."
-Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back