Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i install windows 98 over windows me? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
how do i install windows 98 over windows me?
and, while im on this subject, how do i install 95 over 98??

i have tried to install 95 over 98 before, and it installs perfectly, sept when when i try to start my computer...

when it says, windows protection error, please restart your computer and try again.

this error is really getting annoying... i just wanna get 98 back, coz me is really annoying me.

TIA

- Rusty

try renaming win.com that should do it but the regster is differnt from 9x so it might be ablle to get any thing from it So long and thanks for all the fish.

well, im planning on deleting win.com, and then deleting the windows directory. i dunno if just deleting th windows directory would do it, or not..

i know that that doesnt work when i install 95, and it still wont work even when i format mah drive, take out the disk partitions, EVERYTHING!!
its really quite annoying, coz im tring to get 95 on one of mah old comps. but thx anyways,

ciao!

- Rusty

Not my area, I believe windows M.E. doesn't use DOS? Windows 9X requires DOS and installs it on a separate DOS partition? This indicates no chance of a straight install. I would guess a re-format is required. Maybe this will stir up a solution for you. Cheers, Andy.

I have the same problem. I have Windows ME on my laptop, but I want Windows 98.

Do I just install Windows 98 without removing any files from the computer?

Boot up your Win ME machine with a Win 98 boot disk, fisk and format the drive, install 98 .. no problem!!

Chris.

Of course, fisk won't work ... but fdisk might!!

I type so fast that sometimes my keyboard can't keep up!!

You cannot downgrade ME or 98. You may try booting to DOS and typing deltree c:\windows. Then you may be able to install 98 over ME. You will not lose any data that is not in the windows directory, but some applications will probably not work. But best solution is formatting the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back