Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I install Windows 95 if my boot disk doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyroneOwen

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
GB
I'm trying to install Windows 95 on an old Gateway machine that I've been running NT 4.0 on. When I use the NT boot disks everything works fine, the moment I use a 95 boot disk it all goes wrong. The floppy disk starts to be read but then stops and the system freezes, I can't even ctrl+alt+del. I've tried a number of different boot disks and I've even tied just installing DOS 6.2 but I get the same symptoms. Can anyone help please?

First, ensure that the windows boot disk is okay by booting up another system.
However, I believe you main problem is that the Gateway now has an NTFS file system on the hard drive. You will need a special utility (special FDISK) to remove the NTFS and re-partition the hard drive to put a DOS OS on the hard drive. I believe the NT utility is DELPART. Which can be downloaded from:

After, you remove the NTFS you can then run a standard FDISK to re-install the DOS OS (Windows 95/Windows 98).

Thanks for responding. I've downloaded the software you recommended, now how do I use it? While booted into NT? I'll give you more info. on my problem just in case that helps, as follows:

While booting up the normal memory count takes place then the following messages appear:

Keyboard detected
Mouse detected

Hard Disk 0 Installed ST320413A
ATAPI Device Installed FX140S

Floppy A: Installed

This is where the process halts if I use a windows 95 boot disk. If I use an NT boot disk the setup will continue. I've tried using the DELPART floppy to boot also but it stalls in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back