Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I install Win98 SE on a PC running Win Me? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBartels

Technical User
Nov 30, 2000
US
A friend just bought a Dell PC (Celeron 700 MHz, 128 meg RAM) with Windows Millenium installed. I think he would be in better shape with Win98 SE. How can I "upgrade" to Win98 SE without having to re-install all the apps that came with the computer?

Thank You Jim! And all the apps will not have to be re-installed?
Something else - In addition to IE, the Dell box came with "MSN Explorer" and a year's prepaid internet access through Dell.net.
Is "MSN Explorer" just a skin on top of IE 5 or 5.5? It's very annoying and considerably reduces the amount of viewable space on a web page. Is it possible to delete MSN Explorer?

All your apps should still work, with minimal reinstalls (there's always one that won't work, and mine is Adaptec X-) )
MSN Explorer, and all internet settings will remain the same, BUT...you can just download and install IE5.5 (or 5.1SP2) from MS, and install that to a separate folder.
Put a shortcut to it on your desktop (or quick launch) and use that for browsing (for that matter, you could go get Netscape, or Opera, or Mosaic to use for browsing). You do not need to use the proprietary browser, HOWEVER, you may find you get disconnected from the net if you don't use it, as per the terms of service, viewing ads, etc...I'm not sure about that.
There are other ways to "unbrand" IE, do a search around at for one option. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Thank You Jim for the speedy replies and all your help! Jon

Just a thought Jon, have you given ME much time.
I have used both and installed ME a couple of months ago. At first I did not like it, but now I've settled to it I think it is infinitely superior. It is certainly much more stable than 98 and I've added lots of stuff and taken bits off without the aggro I got with 98. My PC hardly crashes anymore, is definitely faster, quicker reboots and you get to like a lot of the functions: hibernate, restore to a point when it was working fine (not needed yet). The more annoying stuff like personal menus you can turn off.
I am only one of many who think this way.
Hope all is going OK for you whatever you decide.

Gary - thanks for your perspective. I'll hold off for a while and see how things go with the learning curve.
A few "features" of Win Me are particularly annoying:
• I can't display the "traditional" explorer view, with folders shown on the left, and file names including extensions shown on the right. Is it possible to set up this view?
• some Win98 apps are not compatible
• I keep on getting pop-ups urging me to set up automatic updates, etc.
I really look forward to Whistler! Jon

Hey Jon, if you like ME, you won't like XP (whistler).
As for your "features".
The "traditional" view is almost gone. You need to go to View, Folder options, View, and set as "details".
Then you need to make all folders appear the same way.
Turn off "View as web page" (not sure about this one, I'm going from memory).
You also need to enable "show all files", and DISable "hide filenames with known extentions" (something like that anyhow).
To rid the popups, go to and get them, then look in TaskManager and disable it. Also disable it via msconfig.
What win98 apps won't run? Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Jim, Thanks for the help.
Fresh out of the box, before any interim version updates, various Norton Systemworks apps are not Win Me compatible. Same for GoBack (Adaptec/Roxio), and McAffee Guard Dog. Not sure about Mijenix Powerdesk (an Explorer replacement).
I DON'T like Me. I hope that means I WILL like Whistler... Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back