Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I install win98 inside of win 2000 pro. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipholiday

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
I have 2000 installed ,now I need to also install 98.I want to be able to boot to either one or the other.Any help would be greatley appreciated.
Thank you
Skipholiday

Without third party boot managers, Windows 98 must be installed before Windows 2000. Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

If you search these forums or Google for dual booting, you'll see that to use win2k's boot menu, you need to install win98 first. However, you can use a third party boot manager (I use & would recommend the one at - free for personal use). You will need either a second disk, or a second partition (or available space to create one). If you have neither of these (and are not buying a second drive), you'll need partition management software (like Partition Magic) to shrink your existing partition to make room for win98. Once you have space available for win98, I'd create FAT32 partition & format it from within 2k. Then (after installing boot-us), I'd use boot-us to hide the current (win2k) partition - this will take effect when you next reboot (win98 won't install if it can see the win2k partition).
I'd now reboot with Win98 CD in drive and bios set to boot from CD. Install 98 as normal. Once installed, install boot-us on win98 and unhide the win2k partition. You can now install multi-boot menu (in MBR, free partition or on floppy - I'd recommend on floppy to start with). Reboot (with boot sequence back to floppy, hard drive) and the floppy should give you a boot menu of win2k and win98.

I have a second drive drive installed.Would it work if I disconnect the 2000 drive and install 98 on my second drive then rec0nnect the 2000 drive.Would I be able to boot to either then?
Thank you
Skipholiday

The install would work - but you'd still need a boot manager to give you a menu. You could boot from either by changing boot sequence in the bios (most allow 1st or 2nd hard drive as 1st boot device) when you wanted to change o/s.

Dear wolluf,
I tried the procedure you described and experienced a problem. For administration, I am using powerquest´s BootMagic.
With PartitionMagic 7.0, I created a FAT32 partition of 1,5 GB right BEHIND my original c: (NTFS) partition where W2K lives (this is 8GB, due to a lot of software living there also). Both partitions are primary. I set the FAT32 to active and did hide the NTFS one. Booted from the WIN98SE CD.

BUT: Then the install dialog says that it wants to install to C: (which is hidden and should not be seen by WIN98 at all ...), where it detects another Operating System (right, this should be my WIN2K). The following options are offered:
1.: Delete and install to C:, or
2.: Cancel Installation

This is not nice. I want to keep my WIN2K. I now have two ideas:

a) WIN98SE needs to be installed inside the first 8 Gigs of the hardddisk? I can try this by placing the FAT32 partition (J:) right to the beginning of the drive, before C:, and try to install again

b) WIN98SE needs to be installed to drive C: This would be a serious problem, because I do not want to loose my WIN2K on C:, and I think exactly this could happen when messing around with renaming drives ...

Any ideas/recommendations???

When you boot from win98 floppy, what drives are available and what's on them? Whether win2k's NTFS partition is hidden or not, win98 boot floppy NOT assign it to drive C: (because it can't read it). So, I suspect your drive C; is as it should be, your fat32 partition. When you created it, did you copy windows system files to it - this could make install process think there's an operating system on it (because there is!).

So, check your C: drive - if it is readable must be fat/fat32 and if its got msdos.sys etc on it, its just minimal boot system files and you can happily install win98 there.

When you later unhide ntfs, that will be C: drive for 2k, but other will remain as C: for 98.

Hope this helps - post back if need help

PS. Win98 doesn't have to be on first 8GB either.

wolluf, thanx for fast reply

What I did was this: I did set the boot sequence to "CD first", and inserted WIN98SE CD. The system booted from the CD and, as it should, wanted to install WIN98, as described above.

As I do not have a functioning OS by then, I cannot tell you which drives the installation program recognizes. Only that it seems to see some C: with another OS on it it wants to delete. No other drives are offered for installation.

My WIN2K C: drive definitely is NTFS; I have a seperate Data partition D: (FAT32).
If it helps and I get your E-Mail-Adress, I can mail you a screenshot from PartitionMagic showing my configuration. My E-Mail-Adress is motorang@utanet.at

If I get you right, your assumption is this:

The installation program recognizes my J: partition (FAT32) as C:, assigning different drive names. Hey, now that seems pretty obvious :)

But:
There should be absolutely no system files there. I created this J: partition with PartitionMagic, and there is no option that lets me copy system files there ... But maybe BootMagic did something like that?

As far as I remember, BootMagic replaced the original MasterBootRecord by its own one, and the FAT32 partition showed there as bootable, only there was no OS on it by then. Unfortunately BootMagic did not work after reboot, it claimed that it could not find its IMG file. So now while booting I get a message telling me this, and to hit any key to boot from the active partition (which I changed to the NTFS/W2K partition again). Then WIN2K starts as usual.

Meanwhile I reformatted this J: partition from FAT32 to NTFS and sent it to the very end of my disk space. BootMagic was installed to this partition, because you canbnot install it to NTFS. So it is gone, but its MBR is still alive, and I still get that message.

I will try to again run the WIN98 setup CD, it now should not find ANY drive at all:

C: is NTFS
D: is FAT32 and primary, but not active and only contains a logical DATA partition. It was not found before, either.
J: is NTFS

If this is the case, I am confident to try it again.
1.) create FAT32 partition
2.) install BootMagic to this FAT32 partition (it cannot be installed to NTFS). But then I will remove the FAT32 partition from the Boot-list, as it contains no OS by then. I found this in the user´s manual, aftrewards ... The MasterBootRecord should then be rewritten correctly.
3.) set NTFS to hidden and FAT32 to active. Reboot.
4.) install to C: which is J: in WIN2K

As soon as I get home to my private computer, I will try this.

I´ll keep you posted.

One thing I would advise - use disk management tool in win2k to create & format primary fat32 partition for your win98 installation, rather than partition magic (just because I've read a lot of posts on various forums where people have had problems installing windows on a partition created with PM rather than windows partitioning tools).

Also, for your peace of mind - make a win98 boot floppy (can get program to do this from & when you're ready to install 98, boot from that with CD support(rather than booting from the 98 CD). Then you can have a look at C: drive before you install (from dos) - just to make sure its the partition you think it is!

Well, it is working now.
Here is what I did:

1) I created an image of my complete WIN2K installation partition with all my additional software and stored it on my data partition, then reformatted this NTFS partition (8GB)

2) Then, behind this, created a FAT16 partition (NOT FAT32! This does not work with BootMagic!) of 1,5 GB size and set to primary/active. My Data partition is now 1,5 GB smaller, but who cares? I don´t. I used PartitionMagic 7.0 for this.

3) When booting I hit DEL to enter setup and changed the boot sequence (Floppy before CD before hard disk).

4) Rebooted, started from WIN98SE CD. Setup asked a few questions: "Setup detects come operation system files" (I chose to keep them). Then Setup says it wants to cancel installation OR reformat the ENTIRE HARD DISK. I do not want this, because maybe it really formats the drive, not only the FAT partition? So I cancel, and setup exits to DOS.

5) Stuck again, and out of some irrational hope, I type "setup.exe" and enter. ScanDisk starts! Being here anyway, I perform a complete check of the drive: Scandisk finds all three partitions, and no errors at all. After closing Scandisk, the WIN98SE Setup starts automatically and installs WINDOWS98! Hell, why did that not work out before, when starting from the CD?? Bugger!!

6) WIN98 starts up smooth. I am full of hope again, and install BootMagic (which btw ships with PartitionMagic 7.0). Configuring this, I remove any OS instance from the list except my recent installation. Reboot.

7) BootMagic starts, and I can choose to start up WIN98. The first goal is reached. Now WIN2K needs to come back to my computer. I go for the easy option, trying to reinstall it (including all my software) from the image I made, instead of installing manually.

8) Booting with PartitionMagic Floppies, setting my hidden NTFS partition active.

9) Booting with DriveImage Floppies, and reinstalling the image from Data partition to NTFS partition.

10) Booting with PartitionMagic Floppies, setting the FAT WIN98 partition active.

11) BootMagic starts, and I can choose to start up WIN98. In the BootMagic configuration, I add the WINNT/2K operating system.

12) Reboot, and IT IS A BEAUTY! BootMagic opens, and I can choose between WIN98 and WIN2000. I make some more reboots and try both options. Yes, it is done!

13) I can install the bloody sound card drivers in WIN98 (well, this is the only reason for me installing this WIN98 again on my nice and clean and reliable WIN2K machine: my excellent Terratec DMX sound card does not work with 2K or XP. Blame Canyon 3-D for this). And still all my software in WIN2000 works good.

14) Finally, when booting I hit DEL to enter setup and changed the boot sequence back to original: floppy before hard disk before CD.

I hope this description helps somebody.

And thanks to this forum, it helped definitely, and not only psychologically ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back