Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I install Win2000 server admin tools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcomit

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
GB
I am trying to install Exchange System Manager on a client running Win2000 professional but it tells me I must install Windows 2000 Administration Tools first.

How do I install Windows 2000 Server Admin Tools?

Try this,•

The Windows 2000 Administration Tools are included on the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD-ROMs. To install Windows 2000 Administration Tools on a local computer, open the i386 folder on the applicable Windows 2000 Server disc and then double-click the adminpak.msi file. Follow the instructions that appear in the Windows 2000 Administration Tools Setup wizard. After Windows 2000 Administration Tools are installed, most of the server administrative tools can be accessed by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, and then pointing to Administrative Tools.

I did this on so that I can adminster from my workstation, but I get an error message that says "server is not operational...".

What else should I install/configure?

Liz

I think you may have to have the right to log on locally but I will check further and post back.

What do you mean by "setup". It's our file server running Windows 2000 Server and Administrative Tools.

My workstation is running Windows 2000 Professional. After I install the AdminPak, and open Active Directory Users and Computers, it gives me an error that states "Naming information cannot be located because: the server is not operational. Contact your administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online".

Thanks for your help.

Liz

Check your active directory and the way its setup. If its not setup properly then you wont be able to logon and use the admin. tools. Check to make sure that you setup the domain tree properly.

when you say that you have windows 2000 server on your file server, does that mean that you have a domain configured. a win2K domain. pls note that the admin tools in the adminpak.msi from the win2K server cd is to enable remote administration of active directory objects. if you do not have active directory configured, then this toolkit will not work.

keep posted.
:)

You do not have to be running AD.

From the help files:

"With Windows 2000 Administration Tools, included on the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server compact disc sets, you can manage a server remotely from any computer that is running Windows 2000. Windows 2000 Administration Tools contains Microsoft Management Console snap-ins and other administrative tools that are used to manage computers running Windows 2000 Server, and which are not provided on Windows 2000 Professional"

You do NOT have to be running AD,but obviously some of the tools will not be relevant in a non AD environment ie. AD Users and Computers but others do work ,DHCP for example.

From the help files:

"With Windows 2000 Administration Tools, included on the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server compact disc sets, you can manage a server remotely from any computer that is running Windows 2000. Windows 2000 Administration Tools contains Microsoft Management Console snap-ins and other administrative tools that are used to manage computers running Windows 2000 Server, and which are not provided on Windows 2000 Professional"

I'm experiencing the same problem myself. On my W2K professional, I've installed the Admintool with WINS, DNS pointing to DC. The AD Users and Computers works for few days and stops with the error message of "The server is not operational".
Anyone has any idea???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back