Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I install Openserver 5.06 using Adaptec 3210s controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliverhodes

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
GB
Machine Dell Power Edge 2400
Storage Controllers:
Adaptec 7890 - no attached devices
Adaptec 7880 - CDROM sci ID 5 - (install device)
Adaptec 2940 - HP 4mm external Dat drive
Adaptec 3210s- raid 5 with 4x9Gb drives

Can anyone help please with information about drivers for the adaptec 3210s and any defbootstr values required.

Am I understanding your description correctly that you have 4 different SCSI control on your server?

7890 is a blad type controller
7880 is an alad type controller
2940 is an alad type controller
3210s is an ad160 type controller

For the defbootstr you need to check the documentation for each controller model. Check adaptec's website if you don't have the documentation.

You need to configure each controller so that the server sees your main controller (I assume the 3210s) as primary. This should also be covered in the documentation.

Your documentation will probably tell you to use a specific and different defbootstr for each controller. Combining multiple defbootstr's is the tricky part. You need to make sure you include both the primary hard drive and cd-rom controllers in the defbootstr or the os will not install.

For example:

Code:
Hard Drive Controller: defbootstr ahshlink=ad160
CD-Rom Controller: defbootstr link=alad

You must specify the scsi ID information in the defbootstr whenever you combine more than one. The ID fields are controller number (of that specific type, i.e first alad is 0, second is 1..., for each type start over at 0), bus number (or channel, first is 0), scsi id (based on drive or device settings), logical unit ID (usually 0).

Code:
Combined: defbootstr link="ad160 alad" Sdsk=ad160(0,0,0,0) Srom=alad(0,0,5,0)

Visit choose downloads for your system type, search for files by system, Downloads by Operating System, OpenServer 5.04 and you should find a download called UxPer3di.exe. Annihilannic.

visit Dell's suport website and enter your machine's service ID tag (usually alphanumeric)and enter the operating system of your machine. it shold be able to tell you what PERC you need for your specific driver you need.

when you are in mkdev tape (installing scsi). you can type in "h" and it should tell you what controller you have. if its alad blad or ad160. i know that 29160 and 39160 uses ad160.

or you can type sconf -v on # to tell you what controller you have.

i hope my message is of any help to your problem.

Thanks for the fast responses. I have tried the defbootstr suggested and loaded alad and ad160 (I disabled the blad aic7890 controller so its down to 3. After booting from the install CD :
%adapter 0xFC00-0xFCFF 5 alad ha=0
%adapter 0xEc00=0xECFF 11 alad ha=1
then
Warning hd: no root disk controller was found
hd: a Boot-time loadable driver may be required
(the IRQ of the 3210s is also 11!)
Sorry but not familiar with Dell or this controller.

The defbootstr I suggested was only an example. Did you check the documentation for each controller?

According to the Adaptec website ( ) it looks like the 3210s bootstring is:
Code:
defbootstr link=dpti5

You will need to download drivers for this:

According to the Adaptec website it looks like the 7880s bootstring is:
Code:
defbootstr link=alad

You will need to download the latest drivers for this:

My guess from this information is that the correct combined bootstring is:
Code:
defbootstr link="dpti5 alad" Sdsk=dpti5(0,0,0,0) Srom=alad(0,0,5,0)

apeasepc - The defbootstr is ok - and the dpti5 driver. Again thanks for the time spent in getting the details - totally confused myself with the driver required!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back