Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW DO I INSTALL DHCP FROM NT SERVER 4.0 CD 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAY1974

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
US
HAVING TROUBLE INSTALLING DHCP AS A SERVICE ON NT SERVER 4.0.

THE INSTALLER KEEPS COMPLAINING THAT IT CAN'T FIND THE OEMSETUP.INF FILE ON THE CD.WHAT DIRECTORY IS THIS IN FOR NT SERVER 4.0?

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP.

HOW WILL DHCP EFFECT MY EXISTING STATIC PRINTERS AND SERVERS?

You would normally need to point at the i386 folder on the CD.

And your static addresses will not be effected.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

You want to know the impact of your static Printers and Severs when the DHCP server is up and running?
Do you know what is the purpose of the DHCP?
Why do you want to set up a DHCP Server?
How big is your operation? Why add another problem.
I rather ask these questions before anything gets installed?

Something isn't right. I don't think it should even be looking for oemsetup.inf to install DHCP.

It is i386 dir on the CD.

Are you installing it by going to Control Panel/Network/Services Tab/Add and then Microsoft DHCP server from the list?

Once it is installed you will have to exclude any static addresses you are using from the appropriate scopes you will be setting up so that it doesn't try to issue those to requesting clients.

Ah yes, good point Rdroske about excluding the static ip's. I guess I just kinda assumed people have seperate ranges set aside to assign static IP's from, which is what I do.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

I would go for static ip its more easy to manage. The setup files are in i386 folder also check if your CD isn't worn out yet.

More easy to manage? I'd have to say the opposite. Unless you are talking about ten machines and never having someone from another company coming in to visit the CEO and wanting to plug his laptop in....

THE CD IS PRETTY SCRATCHED.

I THINK IT MUST BE THE CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back