Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I install active directory at Windows 2000 Prof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warik

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
ID
Dear all,

I have a computer installed with Windows 2000 prof. It use by multiple user, so I want to make 1 user only could open/run some programs, and can not run other program (even it already installed).

As far as I know, I have to use Active Directory. so... Can I install / use active directory at Windows 2000 prof? What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

You have to be on an active directory Network in order to get a snapin to run AD on Pro. Otherwise I would just create users and accounts on that machine and lock people out of those programs.

ME

MSEDDE, do you mean I can not use Active Directory at W2K Pro?

The user using NT user Domain.
Should I upgrade to W2K Advance?

Thank's

On an NT domain AD is not possible. If the drive is NTFS formatted, you can use local security. just right-click on the file / folder -> properties -> security

Swimpy ;)

On an NT domain, you can use NT policies to enforce restrictions. Also you can use Local Group Policies on the 2k machine.

But as mentioned, you can just set security on apps you don't want users to run (set their user ids to be denied access to the executable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back