Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I import a .dmp file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonsa

MIS
Apr 10, 2000
US
Hi All,

I have a .dmp file that I would like to import. I was trying to go through Oracle's DBA Studio and use the import wizard but my job keeps failing. Can anybody tell me how to import the database another way? (Command prompt?) Also, do I need to import the database into an already existing one or will the database be created from the .dmp file? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi -
An .dmp-file cna be a diffrent thing.
For an import of full database ( or a user-schema ) you has to setup the right 'enviroment'. More than this -owner of schema with right privs/tablespaces/space- the oracle version shut be convenient( i.e. is it the same version ???)
If there is an export avail. best way would be to import it with the Import-utility.
-Do you know oracleversion and OS-system?
greetings
Georgedba

The Oracle version is 8i. The operating system is Windows 2000 Server.

Hi,
How was the dmp file created?

Do you know its contents?

What errors did you get when trying thru DBAStudio..
have you tried it from the command line? (using the imp command)?

[profile]

The .dmp file was created by using an export wizard in a program called DBArtisan. The file contains all of the database objects (tables, procedures, sequences, etc.) that were in the database but I did not export any data since I was only interested in the structure.

When I tried to use DBAStudio it would not produce a log explaining why the import failed.

I haven't tried importing through the command line yet. Can you please tell me how to do that?

Thanks!

I'm afraid that there's no reason to believe that a .dmp file produced by third party software like DBArtisan will be usable by anything but DBArtisan. Who knows what file format it is using? Have you taken a look at the contents of the .dmp file to see what it looks like? If you are lucky it may contain sql statements that can be executed in SQL*Plus.

If it's illegible and unloadable - then go back to the DBArtisan user and get them to create a DDL extract of the objects - it'll be text only, read/writeable for any changes
and could be run at the command line to create/overwrite your schema.
HTH Dickie Bird
Honi soit qui mal y pense

I would still like to try to import my .dmp file through the command prompt. Can anybody provide me with instructions on how to do this?

Before you insist on importing your dump file in the database, it is required to create the database first at least with the SYSTEM tablespace (in case you have a full DB export, and assuming that your dump file is a valid Oracle exp dump).

Assuming it is not a full DB backup, you have to create a "Complete" database, and perform a user or table export.

imp userid=usrname/passwd tables=tab1,tab2...
imp userid=usrname/passwd fromuser=schema1 touser=schema1
for help, imp help=y

If it is not a valid Oracle exp dump and you can view the DDL (create table commands) inside your dump file. I suggest that you create these objects in your target DB using sqlplus (as suggested by Karluk).

But the above instructions definitely need a created DB.

Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back