Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i host multiple sites on server 2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekboy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2002
US
I have a static ip, IIs 5, server 2k, and I own the domain name. Im having trouble tying all these things together. Im currently hosting a site but have no domain name registered for it in addition i want to be able to host the site for which i do have a name registered. The configuration screen on go daddy (place where i regestered my domain name) asks me for an ip, which i have and a host. The first portion of the host field is blank but the rest has a default entry:

xxxxx.lombardoboyar.com

where lombardoboyar is the domain name i have registered and the xxxxx represent a blank.

It seems the xxxxx portion needs to be some information from my server? tek support at go dady says i need to register my computer as a dns server?! Also does anyone know where I can find a how to on how toget my websites up?

If u have a service provider that's providing you an ip and a domain registration service then i doubt u'd need to have ur box set up as a dns server. Here's what you do:

1. register your two domain names (u can have more).
2. have the two domain names point to the same ip address(this would be your static EXTERNAL ip).
3. open iis... right click on one of ur websites then under the "web site" tab .. then ip address choose your external ip.
4. hit the advanced tab (still under the "web site" tab) and you'll see a window pop up.
5. click add for the "Multiple identities for this web site" and u'll see another window pop up.
6. U'll probably see the ip address already in the "ip address" field so go right to the "host header name" then enter your domain name: i.e.
Now close everything.. repeat the steps for the second site. After you've completed everything u'll notice that, ur visitor will be forwarded to the correct web site according to the host header.

*Remember: U can only do this if u have win2k server or ad server.. pro won't let you since u can only host one website.*

Good luck.. hope this helped.

T

OK here is my opinion on this.
xxxxx.lombardoboyar.com is your domain name and xxxxx represents a sub domain under lombardoboyar.com. If this is correct then here is what you do.

Go up to godaddy and add you ISP's DNS servers to lombardoboyar.com this way your own ISP/ service provider handles DNS for your web site. Contact your isp to arrange for them to handle DNS for your domain and give them the static IP that you have on your IIS server. Now have them also create a sub domain under lombardoboyar.com for xxxx.lombardoboyar.com. If you only have one static IP then do not worry IIS 5 handles host headers very well, have your ISP point both lombardoboyar.com and xxxxx.lombardoboyar.com to the same IP. then just modify the sites in IIS to use the same IP address and make sure the host headers are correct.
DO NOT REGISTER YOUR IIS BOX TO BE A DNS server. If you want to host your own DNS bring in 2 dedicated DNS servers and use an external DNS server to resolve the names of your DNS Servers. example NS1 and NS2.lombardoboyar.com.
Hope this helps

thanks for your posts...I forgot to mention Im running nat and i have a static ip on the wan side of my router. Im using the default website so anytime someone enters in the static ip they get that site. What i want to do is also host the site i have registered and keep all requests for going to the default website and requests for going to the appropriate site.

can i do this with nat? i also noticed that the static ip in iis under the website tab for the default site has the fake ip of the server (192.168.1.15). Should i give the new site that is registered a fake or static ip in iis. I know you mention i should use the real ip in my dns seetings.

Sorry for the late reply.. had a lot of midterms coming up.

If I'm interpreting ur senario correctly then:
1. yep.. use the fake(this is actually ur INTERNAL ip.. not fake.. hehe) IP for ur IIS
2. BUT REMEMBER to, depending on ur router, direct the static IP to your fake IP running IIS.

This is relatively easy to do.. but don't be discouraged if it doesn't work the first time (I remember when I first knew what IIS is.. which was 5 months ago).

GOod Luck

T [afro][gorgeous][afro2]

BTW: it's good that u have a nat set up.. and if the router is going to a firewall then have the firewall direct the traffic instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back