Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I hook an Audix up to a Merlin Magix 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbeegrl

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
HI! Our merlin messaging died recently and we have a working audix system hanging around we would like to use instead of buying another voice mail module. I am having a heck of a time finding any documentation on how to physically hook the audix into the magix system. Does anyone out there have any info on this? Thank you so much in advance.

You're going to need to have a 012 tip/ring or a 016 tip/ring card to connect the Audix. Each VM port will go to a ext. port.

KILLBOX

Of course, you will want to place the Extensions in a CALLING GROUP set for VMI (Itegrated Voice Mail).

This would also mean that you must remove the ones that were used by the Mer Mesg from that group.

(Unless you put the 012 card in where the Mer Mesg was.)

Now, as far as physically connecting the Tip/Ring ports to the voice cards in the Audix, the Audix cards have a 6-pin RJ-25 (3-line) jacks (although the jacks are 8-pin, they are wired as if they are 3-pair USOC). So you can use a wiring block that came with the Audix that takes 3 single lines into it on 3 seperate jacks, and has a 4th jack that uses a 6-pin line cord to the Audix, or just wire up a 3-pair USOC jack and cross connect the T/R stations to it.

I'm in the same situation, trying to physically connect an Audix to a Magix system - the programming has been done, but I have been left to do the cabling. I was told about the order of ports to use on our 106 T/R card, but not how to physically wire it. Would the first Blue pair go to port 1, the first Orange pair to port 2, the first Green pair to port 3, and then repeat with the other sets of pairs?

Audix uses an 885a adapter to convert three single line extensions to 1 RJ25 3-line jack to plug into the Audix card.

Go to Home Depot. Purchase 4 Cat-5 Jacks, and 2-Dual Surface Mount Boxes. Use the sticky tape to stick the boxes back-to-back.

Use some single pair jumper wire, or a pair stripped out of some Cat-5 cable. On three of the jacks, punch down a 6-inch length of the jumper wire to the pins where it indicates that the White-Blue/Blue-White pair should go.

Stick these jacks into three of the ports of the surface mount boxes, then stick the 4th jack into the last port. Mark the three jacks 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Take the other end of the jumper wire from the 1st jack, and punch it down to the 4th jacks where the White-Blue/Blue-White goes.

Take the jumper wire from the 2nd jack and punch it down to the 4th jack where the White-Green/Green-White goes (looking at the markings for 568-B)

Take the jumper wire from the 3rd jack, and punch one conductor onto the 4th jack to where the Orange-White conductor goes, and the other jumper wire conductor to where the White-Brown conductor goes.

Plug your three station ports into the jacks marked 1, 2, and 3. Run a 6-conductor line cord from the 4th jack to the Audix jack.

Good luck!

Ok,

I am also preparing to install my Audix on a Legend. What kind of administration/programming will I need to do? I see no way to program a coverage group as "VMI"

Aussie, don't get the lingo confused. You are looking for a Calling group to be VMI, not a Coverage group. See if that hepps.

OK, That makes it easier. And on programming the Audix, it tells me to use a data terminal with a 355 AF adapter. Would Hyperterminal work as well? I guess you can tell that I am not too well versed in these systems. (Maybe someone should publish a "for Dummies" book on this, how about "Hooked on Audix")

Hyperterminal will not work as far as I know. Definity Site Administration, or Avaya Site Administration would work. If you don't have the 355A/F adaptor, you can always use a Tip and Ring port from the switch to the modem on the Audix.

Naperguy1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back