Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I hide the Windows Task Bar? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LW

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
I am developing an application that needs to use all of the screen real estate. I also need to control the user's access to to any other application on the machine. Is there an API function I can use to turn off the visibility of the task bar, including the Start Button?

Hi,
The easiest way to hide the taskbar is through START -> SETTINGS -> TASKBAR & START MENU... -> then click "AUTO HIDE" and apply. If you want to do it through VB, you will have to find out the Process ID of systray.exe and minimize it. I would have to do some more investigation into it to help you further than this. I hope this gives you a good start!
Brett Please visit my websites!

Brett,

The link you posted is bad. Could you contact Tek-Tips with a correction?

Thanks.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

"If you can get people to ask the wrong questions, they'll never find the right answers."[tt]
Thomas Pynchon[/tt]

Perhaps the reverse is also true....

This small example should show how you to show/hide the taskbar.

'A simple form that hides the task bar when loading and
'shows it again when unloading

Private Declare Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal ncmdshow As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpwindowname As String) As Long

Private Sub Form_Load()
ShowWindow FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", vbNullString), 0
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
ShowWindow FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", vbNullString), 1
End Sub

Thanks Misery347, It worked like a charm!!

Glad I could help. :)
I just found this site and wasn't sure if you still needed the help because it's been a fe months but I figure it wouldn't hurt to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back