Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I hide mapped network drive server name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujump

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2005
US
Hello all,
In my office we have a few Linux file servers that share folders with clinet computers. These share come up on users windows xp, my computer, network drivers and look like this:

Data on 'Samba Server(Zion3)'(Q:)

Where "Zion3" is the name of the linux server with the shared files. I think this is a windows network thing.

Question: Is there a way to hide the servre name...so that end users don't see it? I want the network drive to look like this:

Data on (Q:) or Data on 'Samba Server'(Q:)

This this possible?

Thanks

Did you try right-click -> Rename?

Thanks for the input......but I don't think that would be a good idea (even if it worked)I would have to go to every end user machine (over 180) and rename 5 network drives.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

It does work...but yea, that would be too much work. I assume the drives are mapped with a login script? What if you adjust the script

Yes, I could tweak the logon script.....wouldn't know what to edit in the script to make it hide the server names. Keep in mind that this is a Linux server and the mapped server name is coming from that server. This is not a Linux forum but I'm thinking its a windows thing thats pulling the server name from that server, thus ladeling the nework drivers.

Thanks again

Even though the server is a linux one, windows can call it whatever it wants locally. I'll look into it when I get home. Is the script written in VBScript, or is it a batch file?

I just ran across this script on the web.........I'm assuming it's a vbs script. You thing this would work?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

option explicit

dim mdrive, oshell, fso

set fso=createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'Rename User Home Directory

if fso.driveexists("U:") then

mdrive = "U:\"
Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
oShell.Namespace(mdrive).Self.Name = "User"

end if

if fso.driveexists("S:") then

' Rename Users group share

mdrive = "S:\"
Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
oShell.Namespace(mdrive).Self.Name = "Share"

end if

' End of script
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'd need to remove the 'netbois name=" and "server string=" lines from your smb.conf file on the samba server, but that's not a good idea. Unlike previous versions of Windows, the netbios name and description field are displayed by default in the explorer drive listing - even if it were a windows server instead of a samba server.

I'm fairly certain that this has been discussed here before, but I can't find the thread. I believe (from memory) that there's a registry value that will cause the clients to not display the samba 'server string' or windows 'description', but I don't think there's any way to prevent displaying of the netbios name.

smah,
Yes your right.....this crossed my mind but removing the info from that smb.conf file "is" not a good idea. Was hoping there was a simpler way. I you come up with anything please advise.

Thank you much

GOT IT!!!!

Thanks for all the help, the above vb script did a fine job of renaming the network drive to what ever I wanted.

Sweet.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back