Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I hide databases in a SQL Server from External users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiancaJ

Technical User
Nov 4, 2002
GB
I am going to give user rights for an external user to connect to my SQL Server via Client Network Utility.

Atlough I have given user permissions to only access one database and not the whole list, how do I make sure that they cannot see all the other databases on my SQL Server?

I have 20 instances of databases on my SQL Server and ideally I would like to give 20 different people access - but each of them when they enter my SQL Server, should not even know that the other databases exist.

Thanks.

Using the 'Client Network Utility' that comes with SQL Server.

Thanks,

Bianca

The Client Network Utility doesn't see databases. It only sets up access to servers. Wil the users have an application, MS Access, SQL Query Analyzer, SQL Enterprise Manager or something else to get to the the data? Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

They will be using SQL Server as well. I am setting this up to allow replication between mine and their databases.

After I set it up through 'Client Network Utility', at the moment, I then go through the register server wizard to register their server and mine in each others SQL Server - is this what I am doing wrong?

Should I just connect eac other via the 'Client Network Utility' and they move directly to replication?

And through SQL Security - When I register the logins I only give access to the database they would need?

Thank you for your help:)

Register Server Wizard is in the Enterprise Manager. If the users have Enterprise Manager, I don't think you can hide databases from them. They won't be able to read or update but will still see the databases. Typically, users shouldn't have Enterprise Manager.

Hopefully, Microsoft will correct this shortcoming in future versions of SQL Server. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back